Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seiji Ozawa (1935-2024).

It’s been reported on Facebook that the conductor Seiji Ozawa has died.

Thank you for the music, Maestro.

Indeed thanks!
    I first saw him in Liverpool (as the young winner of a conducting competition, iirc).
    And many happy memories of Tanglewood during my transatlantic student days.

Comment

A diverse and eclectic recording legacy. I haven't much of him in my collection as first thought but am extremely fond of this recording

Also, Ives Three Places in New England Boston SO

Comment

He was from a family that had been part of Japan’s effort to colonize Manchuria during their invasion in the 1930s, and were lucky enough to be evacuated to Japan when Japan surrendered. Tens of thousands of Japanese “settlers “ weren’t so lucky and had to face the wrath of the Manchurians.
        He was mentored by Bernstein and was a very exciting presence. His 1960s CSO recordings are particularly exciting. His first decade in Boston went well but then there was ennui, stagnation, slipping standards. Towards the end of his tenure was the revelation that Japanese corporate money was being funneled to the BSO, as his status was viewed as a major cultural achievement for all Japanese.
        R.I.P.

Comment

I've long admired Japanese art and culture, and I think we have much to thank them for, from taking over CBS and RCA and treating their back-catalogue far better than the old parent companies did, to winning Le Mans five times after a herculean effort and a lot of bad luck; and Ozu Yasujiro is my favourite film director. So I value Seiji's achievement; I imagine he must have faced a lot of opposition to begin with.

If I could choose one recording to remember him, it would be the Toronto 'Turangalila'.

Comment

Haruki Murakami - a great music-lover as well as great writer - published this:

a few years ago. I much enjoyed reading it.

Comment

Just seen this on an unlikely website: https://www.nationalworld.com/cultur...sfp=3114078700

Cause of death is given as heart failure - he died at home in Tokyo. RIP Seiji - you will be missed.

Comment

When I was giving a talk on my favourite Strauss tone poem, I searched through my collection to find the finest Ausklang section to demonstrate to the audience. I chose the Ozawa. Almost beyond perfection.

Comment

Some great recordings from a long career. RIP,Seiji

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                    I've long admired Japanese art and culture, and I think we have much to thank them for, from taking over CBS and RCA and treating their back-catalogue far better than the old parent companies did, to winning Le Mans five times after a herculean effort and a lot of bad luck; and Ozu Yasujiro is my favourite film director. So I value Seiji's achievement; I imagine he must have faced a lot of opposition to begin with.

If I could choose one recording to remember him, it would be the Toronto 'Turangalila'.
                    Given all this (I share much of this, especially your view on Ozu) you may be interested in reading the novelist Haruki Murakami's book of interviews with Ozawa, which is called Absolutely on Music: Conversations with Seiji Ozawa​ and is published by Harvill Secker. The very attractive hardback is currently available for £8.34 from Amazon:

Though that might not last, of course. I've got two copies: there was a small error somewhere, and Murakami insisted on a recall, reprint and free amended copies being sent to all traceable purchasers - this man has clout!

Comment

An early purchase on my music discovery journey (on cassette) was this:

It was a key recording which shaped my tastes, and to which I still return with pleasure (not on cassette!).

Ditto the second Shostakovich cello concerto with Rostropovich which I vividly recall buying with excitement one Saturday afternoon in Paris during my year out after school.

Thank you and RIP
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Times obituary:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/21efaf5c-5db7-4d3f-bcbe-86c6c8606853?shareToken=288fb9cfc1850b5b3a0477ceb1 81db8c

This reminded me that I have this Sessions/Panufnik CD in my collection:

Panufnik: Symphony No. 8 & Sessions: Concerto for Orchestra. Helios: CDH55100. Buy CD or download online. Boston Symphony Orchestra, Seiji Ozawa (conductor)

Comment

Not much Ozawa in my collection too but that Argerich Beethoven PC1 coupled with the First Symphony from only a couple of years ago is a delight and that Toronto Turangalila is wild.

RIP

Comment

Thanks, MasterJaques.

That Hyperion Panufnik/Sessions disc was a landmark in my listening too.

Comment

He was a constant presence as long as I have listened to classical music. I seem to have only two CD recordings, both classics, Ravel Orchestral Works and Liszt Piano Concertos/Krystian Zimerman (mentioned today in Record Review as a previous BaL choice) both with Boston SO.

Comment

Working...
                              X