Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music of (or for) consolation

Despite several jokey postings in the last couple of days, I've actually felt deeply saddened by the death/murder of Navalny, and have sought some consolation in music.

We might have had a similar thread in the past (if found this could be combined with it).

What music do forum members turn to when they need to be consoled?

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Despite several jokey postings in the last couple of days, I've actually felt deeply saddened by the death/murder of Navalny, and have sought some consolation in music.

We might have had a similar thread in the past (if found this could be combined with it).

Any Mozart piano concerto. A combination of my spouse, my sense of humour and (my) Mozart got me through Covid and other recent difficulties and continues to remind me that there's still a kindly light amid the encircling gloom.
    Last edited by LMcD; 18-02-24, 12:25.

Comment

"Death" seems unlikely - given that he looked OK a few days ago. Posssible, but unlikely.

Comment

Any 6 or 8 from WTK, starting anywhere

​​​​

Comment

I mentioned Delius's Mass of Life elsewhere yesterday, but his Requiem is less well known. A somewhat uneven work, but the last section 'The Snow Lingers Yet on the Mountains' is some of the most consoling and life affirming music I know. Spring arrives as the snows melts and the baritone sings 'Eternal renewing, everything on Earth will return Again', the chorus follows and the orchestra tells us it will be true!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
            I mentioned Delius's Mass of Life elsewhere yesterday, but his Requiem is less well known. A somewhat uneven work, but the last section 'The Snow Lingers Yet on the Mountains' is some of the most consoling and life affirming music I know. Spring arrives as the snows melts and the baritone sings 'Eternal renewing, everything on Earth will return Again', the chorus follows and the orchestra tells us it will be true!
            I guess Child of our time is similar in that respect (renewal).
            I've got to be feeling pretty strong/emotionally stable to be able to listen to it, sentimental old fool that I am.

Comment

I guess Child of our time is similar in that respect (renewal).
              I've got to be feeling pretty strong/emotionally stable to be able to listen to it, sentimental old fool that I am.
              Yes! I hadn't thought of the similarity of the Tippett and Delius. The Tippett, hope after tyranny - the Delius, hope after war (the Delius is dedicated to fallen artists in WW1), both sentiments entirely applicable to your original post.

Comment

Bruckner is my usual port of call if in need of consolation, particularly the 9th Symphony.

However, feeling saddened by the death of Navalny, I turned last night to the Shostakovich 14 in the Rostropovich recording preceded by the Tchaikovsky Serenade for Strings. Summed it all up perfectly.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Music is always a source of consolation. However in my personal case, when I have had some severe life affecting events, I found myself losing interest in music for limited time periods, and then regaining interest when my mental state improved

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                    Music is always a source of consolation. However in my personal case, when I have had some severe life affecting events, I found myself losing interest in music for limited time periods, and then regaining interest when my mental state improved
                    That actually happened to me during the Covid pandemic (which might be the previous thread or a related one I was thinking of).

Comment

The second movement of the 'Unfinished' symphony is hard to beat, as is the Beethoven Violin Coincerto. Coincidentally, I was listening to both these today.

. Also, many of Haydn's adagios are good for this. Haydn I often think is the sanest composer I know. His music is the epitome of good sense and reason.

Personally, I have found John Ireland's music, especially his short piano pieces and his Phantasy Trio, very consoling.

Comment

I think it would depend whether I was looking for a bit of a boost, a cheering-up after feeling down; in that case, the rondeau from Mozart's oboe quartet. But if I wanted something more calm and reflective, maybe the adagio from Beethoven's op 130.

Ed: Oops. I meant op 132.
                        Last edited by french frank; 18-02-24, 20:21.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          I think it would depend whether I was looking for a bit of a boost, a cheering-up after feeling down; in that case, the rondeau from Mozart's oboe quartet. But if I wanted something more calm and reflective, maybe the adagio from Beethoven's op 130.

Ed: Oops. I meant op 132.
                          But surely while you have your set of the Late Qts to hand, the Cavatina from Op. 130 is perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

But surely while you have your set of the Late Qts to hand, the Cavatina from Op. 130 is perfection.
                            The late quartets are the only works where I always like to follow the score. Curiously (or not?), the visual look of the music helps me to hear details I would otherwise miss. [Though I confess I do often lose my place when the repeats come].
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Brahms was grieving for his mother when he wrote the beautiful soprano solo, Ihr habt nun Traurigkeit, for his German Requiem. I did have sadness when our choir happened to be rehearsing this work at the same time as my own mother died in 2001 and I do recall the special poignance which the music had.

Comment

Working...
                              X