Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Listening Service - Maconchy quartets

Just listened to about 20 minutes of today's edition - the first I have heard for some time. Couldn't see the slightest point to it! These pieces will surely be quite unfamiliar to most listeners, yet all we got was a monologue over the music. I doubt whether more than a dozen bars could be properly heard. Antony Hopkins was surely turning in his grave! I gave up some time before the end.

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
    Just listened to about 20 minutes of today's edition - the first I have heard for some time. Couldn't see the slightest point to it! These pieces will surely be quite unfamiliar to most listeners, yet all we got was a monologue over the music. I doubt whether more than a dozen bars could be properly heard. Antony Hopkins was surely turning in his grave! I gave up some time before the end.
    And given there were 20 snippets in a 30 minute programme a dozen bars wasn't far off the sum total anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

And given there were 20 snippets in a 30 minute programme a dozen bars wasn't far off the sum total anyway?
      I get the impression they've all lost their enthusiasm.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
        These pieces will surely be quite unfamiliar to most listeners, yet all we got was a monologue over the music.
        Ah but this is one of Britain's best loved voices, don't you know!

Comment

Tom Service's 'commentary' was ladled with exaggeration, OTT and embarrassing emptiness.
          Crikey - I like McC's quartets, but, honestly..............do they deserve that kind of end-of-world exaltation. Yu

Comment

This is sad to hear. Elizabeth Maconchy's music deserves advocacy, her quartets are often praised, and when eventually we get a programme about them , this happens! Another triumph for the cult of the presenter.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              This is sad to hear. Elizabeth Maconchy's music deserves advocacy, her quartets are often praised, and when eventually we get a programme about them , this happens! Another triumph for the cult of the presenter.

Comment

Comment

I know some on this forum have an inexplicable aversion to Tom Service but he has gone to the trouble of writing and presenting a very rare programme on an almost completely and unjustly ignored composer and I think he’s to be congratulated for that . I didn’t time the length of the clips but I’m pretty sure I heard more than a dozen bars on occasion. Even if they were short at least “attention was paid “ and that’s important. Perhaps the commenters who haven’t heard the programme might like to give it a listen.

PS Yep well Rauschwerk is totally right and I’m totally wrong . 15 minutes in and there hasn’t been more than 3 seconds of music that isn’t voiced over. It just doesn’t work . Given the claims the programme makes about Maconchy’s sexist treatment isn’t there something rather ironic in a male voice “explaining “ a woman’s music over that very music?

Come on guys let the lady speak for herself unhindered …she’s got a pretty powerful voice.
                  ok 15 mins in and finally a long clip - 33 secs of unvoiced over music . Hurrah !
                  Last edited by Ein Heldenleben; 04-03-24, 17:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                    I know some on this forum have an inexplicable aversion to Tom Service but he has gone to the trouble of writing and presenting a very rare programme on an almost completely and unjustly ignored composer and I think he’s to be congratulated for that . I didn’t time the length of the clips but I’m pretty sure I heard more than a dozen bars on occasion. Even if they were short at least “attention was paid “ and that’s important. Perhaps the commenters who haven’t heard the programme might like to give it a listen.

PS Yep well Rauschwerk is totally right and I’m totally wrong . 15 minutes in and there hasn’t been more than 3 seconds of music that isn’t voiced over. It just doesn’t work . Given the claims the programme makes about Maconchy’s sexist treatment isn’t there something rather ironic in a male voice “explaining “ a woman’s music over that very music?

Come on guys let the lady speak for herself unhindered …she’s got a pretty powerful voice.
                    ok 15 mins in and finally a long clip - 33 secs of unvoiced over music . Hurrah !

Comment

Working...
                    X