Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting and fun video

This video from David Bruce is both entertaining and informative.

How do composers write for instruments they don't actually play? It's a question that non-composers often ask - and one that composers themselves often ask t...

Beethoven 9 as you've maybe not heard it before [ be thankful ...]!

Thanks. One doesn't often see this sort of thing. I have to disagree with his opening claim ,that writing for an instrument one doesn't play is 'one of the hardest things a composer has to do'. In my experience it's one of the most basic things one learns to begin with: there are many far more difficult things about composing than that!

Having said that, I think the most difficult instrument for a non-player to write for is the guitar (I mean classical guitar, not just tune and chords). . I really think that unless you play the guitar you'll have great difficulty writing truly idiomatic music for the instrument.

The film reminds me of the time I bought a viola to find out certain ideas of writing for strings. In short , it illustrates the old adage that an ounce of practice is worth a ton of theory.

Last edited by smittims; 05-03-24, 14:57.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post

The film reminds me of the time I bought a viola to find out certain ideas of writing for strings. In short , it illustrates the old adage that an ounce of practice is worth a ton of theory.

Yes - but I don't think you decided to take up the viola and try to play to the level of Tertis or Primrose.

Trying instruments out in the way David Bruce does makes sense in exposing some problems, and possibly also some new ways to treat instruments, but DB does also acknowledge that asking for advice from experienced players makes a lot of sense.

On a slightly different note, on another thread you mentioned Russ Conway - but I think you omitted a mention of Winifred Atwel.

Comment

Yes, I omitted to mention Winifred on that occasion because I felt the other two made the point. And unlike them she did occasionally play classical 'straight': she recorded the Grieg Concerto for Decca, and it had quite a run on 'Ace of Clubs'.

Once again, thanks for posting this interesting film.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          Yes, I omitted to mention Winifred on that occasion because I felt the other two made the point. And unlike them she did occasionally play classical 'straight': she recorded the Grieg Concerto for Decca, and it had quite a run on 'Ace of Clubs'.

Once again, thanks for posting this interesting film.
          Thanks for this update - very interesting about the Grieg pc.

overviewfb55cd020f0643f08418183279e63a5fGRIEG Piano ConcertoRecorded in 1954Duration 30'36"Winifred Atwell, piano London Philharmonic Orchestra Conductor: Stanford Robinson578a9379d1e540bd96d26f03a79628d9review_titlefb55cd020f0643f08418183279e63a5f578a9379d1e540bd96d26f03a79628d9review_quotefb55cd020f0643f08418183279e6

Comment

Eight euros, eh? And still on its own on a disc. On Ace of Clubs it was 21shillings.

Comment

Working...
            X