Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Byron Janis (1928-2024)

I discovered Janis's playing via a recommendation in The Record Guide or some such volume, by which time the relevant LP (Rachmaninov 1/Prokofiev 3, recorded in Moscow with Kondrashin) seemed to have been deleted in the UK. Fortunately I tracked down a copy by chance when on holiday in Switzerland. It's very exciting indeed and I have played both concerti many times in the last 60 years. His Liszt Totentanz (with Reiner) is also excellent, though his Rachmaninov 2 & 3 (with Dorati) don't seem to me to be in quite the same league. There is good stuff, too, on Vol.50 of the Philips Great Pianists of the 20th Century series. It's a real shame that Janis's career was so badly affected by arthritis (see his obituary on the Presto Classical website).

RIP Byron Janis.

His career was derailed by severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. His Mercury recordings of the Rachmaninov PC 2/3 are superb and I particularly enjoy his Pictures on RCA. I believe that he was the only student of Horowitz

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      His career was derailed by severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. His Mercury recordings of the Rachmaninov PC 2/3 are superb and I particularly enjoy his Pictures on RCA. I believe that he was the only student of Horowitz
      Was it Byron who tells the story of his first lesson with VH ? . Horowitz asked him to play some octave passages. All his musical life his teachers has used the mantra : practice octaves slowly , high from the wrist and perfectly in rhythm. Now Byron was about to be admitted to the octave secrets of Horowitz himself - the greatest exponent of them in the history of the instrument , “The secret “ said Horowitz “is to practice them slowly , high from the wrist and perfectly in rhythm.”

Comment

I treasure his RCA disc of the Rachmaninov Third concerto with Charles Munch. I used to think this was complete but in fact there are three short cuts, one in each movement. It's a beautiful performance, Janis' tempi well-judged.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Was it Byron who tells the story of his first lesson with VH ? . Horowitz asked him to play some octave passages. All his musical life his teachers has used the mantra : practice octaves slowly , high from the wrist and perfectly in rhythm. Now Byron was about to be admitted to the octave secrets of Horowitz himself - the greatest exponent of them in the history of the instrument , “The secret “ said Horowitz “is to practice them slowly , high from the wrist and perfectly in rhythm.”
          Great story

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            I treasure his RCA disc of the Rachmaninov Third concerto with Charles Munch. I used to think this was complete but in fact there are three short cuts, one in each movement. It's a beautiful performance, Janis' tempi well-judged.
            The Mercury recording with Dorati and the LSO was released as a high resolution download and is one of the most realistic recordings I’ve ever heard

Comment

Working...
            X