Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maurizio Pollini. 1942 - 2024

The death of the great Italian pianist Maurizio Pollini has been announced.

RIP, Maestro.

The outstanding Italian pianist Maurizio Pollini died on Saturday. He had been ill for some time and had cancelled some concert appearances

His body will lie in state in La Scala opera house, Milan. Pollini had a close relationship with the venue and its executants. He played at the Opera House over 150 times.

Members of this Forum will have vivid memories of his unassuming virtuosity and authority across a wide range of repertoire from Mozart through Webern to Maurizio's contemporaries. He will be sorely missed.

Comment

I know in the discussion on the other thread there were the 'on the one hand, on the other' comments, but for me, yes, the Maestro.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I think that the only Pollini CD I have is his mightily impressive Prokofiev, Bouiez, Webern, and Stravinsky compilation.

Maurizio Pollini plays Prokofiev, Boulez, Webern and Stravinsky. Deutsche Grammophon: 4192022. Buy download online. Maurizio Pollini (piano)

RIP

Comment

The last time I saw him was about five years ago, in the RFH. What surprised me was how many younger people were at the concert, I was right at the top. I believe he was helpful to piano students - a credit to him.

He came up in discussion with some friends recently, we were talking about how he plays the Chopin nocturne op 37/i - precisely at 3:53. It's divisive, I hate it, a friend loves it, another friend is open to liking it more. But hell - that's real music making for you!

Last edited by Mandryka; 23-03-24, 18:28.

Comment

Very sad news . I was just about to give his Brahms concertos that recently arrived a spin.

Comment

I saw Pollini several times in concertos with the LSO and Abbado in both London and Vienna and, on one occasion, he came to sit behind me in the RFH for an Abbado second half performance of Mahler 5 after he had played in the first half.

I've got his Brahms/Beethoven/Bartok/Mozart concertos with Abbado, Bohm and Jochum. In addition, I've got his Schoenberg piano pieces CD and one of Nono.

Debating what to play tonight.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Sad news, he was of the greats. One of my earliest concerts was seeing him (in an unpretentious lounge suite, so rare back then) play late Beethoven at the RFH, then numerous performances with Abbado. His Brahms PC2 recording with Abbado is my go to choice, the second movement is granitic. His Petrushka and Brahms Quintet discs are particular favourites. RIP.

Comment

I was lucky enough to meet him in a book and cd shop in Milan. He was just flicking through the discs and had amassed a small pile. I hastily purchased his cd of the Brahms Second Concerto and asked him to sign it which he willingly did. He was very chatty, asked where I was staying and gave me a few recommendations of where to eat!

Absolute Gent!

Comment

Tributes from this side of the pond:
                    New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/23/a...lini-dead.html
                    Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/obitu...-pianist-dead/

From NPO Radio 4: https://www.nporadio4.nl/klassiek/mu...urizio-pollini

The direct link to the archival Dutch Radio recital by Pollini from 1974 is at: https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/4...-speelt-chopin

Was fortunate enough to see him live 3 times in 3 different cities: 2 solo recitals (Berlin, Philharmonie; New York City, 92nd Street Y) and one concerto appearance in Chicago, with Muti conducting (Mozart 21).

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      I was lucky enough to meet him in a book and cd shop in Milan. He was just flicking through the discs and had amassed a small pile. I hastily purchased his cd of the Brahms Second Concerto and asked him to sign it which he willingly did. He was very chatty, asked where I was staying and gave me a few recommendations of where to eat!

Absolute Gent!
                      Lovely story. You didn't notice what he had bought?

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post

Lovely story. You didn't notice what he had bought?
                        Alas, no I didn’t. He did ask if I played the piano. ‘Oh yes’, I replied, thinking of my Associated Board Grade 5 ( Merit!)

Comment

... eternally grateful. The Stravinsky Petrouchka, and particularly the Late Beethoven Sonatas, for me (as they say) life changing

Comment

Nothing to add to all the tributes above - a constant in my pantheon of musical heroes for more than 50 years so will be much missed. Last saw him at the RFH in the LvB late sonatas. I have a memory of reading not that long ago an interview with him (possibly in Diapason) where the interviewer extracted the confession from him that he had finally been persuaded to give up smoking (on health grounds) but that he missed it. RIP

Comment

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X