X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post

Forgive me for renewing the attack, but it is the Henleys of this world who are the core of the problem, not here-today-gone-tomorrow governments. Timeservers who kow-tow to government, trading away the independence of the Arts Council to foster their own administrative careers, while exponentially increasing the amount of red tape for "client organisations" which the Arts Council should exist to serve, not the other way round, are the worst evil here.

The Henleys also dictate what's demanded of their "clients", in the way of socio-political activity, if they are to retain their share in the diminishing pie. And that pie is, of course, increasingly consumed by the bureaucracy required to keep track of Arts Council paperwork, rather than going to fund artistic endeavour. Henley (who personally clearly leads the crusade against "classical music" and "opera" in particular) is a dangerous example of a corrosive breed which is killing the arts in our country, and our time.

I agree with you, of course - next time I want to come back as a German, please. They value the arts in the way any healthy society should, and strive to keep them independent of social engineering.
    The same government has been in power for 14 years . Henley is the here today figure surely? You are right though ACE are far from blameless. It’s just that their social engineering agenda dovetails so well the government’s cuts agenda doesn’t it. Opera is expensive and elitist so let’s rectify all that by cutting it massively - even ironically in the North and Wales which have been battered quite a lot already. We all know that ENO will never move up North and if it did what happens to Opera North?

Comment

• Master Jacques
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

The same government has been in power for 14 years . Henley is the here today figure surely? You are right though ACE are far from blameless....
      Henley and his ilk - people who believe in nothing but their own executive payouts - have been running ACE for a generation. He represents a whole pack of rats which have been eating away at the arts for 30 years or so. Their "agenda" is convenient for them right now, because it minimalises friction with the government - but they don't believe in it, any more than they believe in anything.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Henley and his ilk - people who believe in nothing but their own executive payouts - have been running ACE for a generation. He represents a whole pack of rats which have been eating away at the arts for 30 years or so. Their "agenda" is convenient for them right now, because it minimalises friction with the government - but they don't believe in it, any more than they believe in anything.
        you don’t like them much do you ?

incidentally if I hear the trail for this series again I think I’ll go mad .
        Please no more …

Comment

• Master Jacques
          • Feb 2012

you don’t like them much do you ?
          Something in me broke when ACE ordered ENO to leave London, without caring one iota for how they might do it, let alone why it might be a good idea. It was a cynical, brainless and self-serving political manoeuvre, much discussed as such on this Forum, which even I couldn't quite believe of them.

The writing was on the wall for opera, of course, when they produced that despicable "corporate vision document" about ten years ago (I forget the title) which - in its entire 76 pages - did not mention the "O" word once. I'm merely taking their even more despicable update Let's Create (which is essentially a death knell for professional performers) at its word, by doing a little bit of creating myself!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Something in me broke when ACE ordered ENO to leave London, without caring one iota for how they might do it, let alone why it might be a good idea. It was a cynical, brainless and self-serving political manoeuvre, much discussed as such on this Forum, which even I couldn't quite believe of them.

The writing was on the wall for opera, of course, when they produced that despicable "corporate vision document" about ten years ago (I forget the title) which - in its entire 76 pages - did not mention the "O" word once. I'm merely taking their even more despicable update Let's Create (which is essentially a death knell for professional performers) at its word, by doing a little bit of creating myself!

Completely agree. I complained to them by email twice and got the usual corporate
            nonsense in response .

Comment

• Master Jacques
              • Feb 2012

An interesting interview on R4 Front Row this evening, with the general managers of Wigmore Hall and the LSO, both saying outright that ACE is simply not fit for purpose. Wigmore Hall is pulling out of taking any Arts Council money, as the required documentation is not only intrusive, but now costing as much to administer as the grant they're getting (see my previous comments!) LSO can't afford to pull out, but are requiring ACE to make changes to their amateur, community-based criteria, which make no sense for professional orchestras and would result in a reduction in quality.

They also trailed tomorrow's R4 interview with Pappano, with a quote in which he expressed his "terrible disappointment" at the destructive way ACE was operating. More from him, doubtless, at 11am tomorrow. But there are signs that the musical worms are finally turning, to fight their corner less politely with ACE's anti-musical, timeserving, gravy-swilling rat pack.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

An interesting interview on R4 Front Row this evening, with the general managers of Wigmore Hall and the LSO, both saying outright that ACE is simply not fit for purpose. Wigmore Hall is pulling out of taking any Arts Council money, as the required documentation is not only intrusive, but now costing as much to administer as the grant they're getting (see my previous comments!) LSO can't afford to pull out, but are requiring ACE to make changes to their amateur, community-based criteria, which make no sense for professional orchestras and would result in a reduction in quality.

They also trailed tomorrow's R4 interview with Pappano, with a quote in which he expressed his "terrible disappointment" at the destructive way ACE was operating. More from him, doubtless, at 11am tomorrow. But there are signs that the musical worms are finally turning, to fight their corner less politely with ACE's anti-musical, timeserving, gravy-swilling rat pack.
                Interesting . The idea that the ACE grant process is more trouble than it’s worth aligns perfectly with Edward Hall’s theatre perspective criticisms in the Times today . He has gone to the Chicago Lyric Theatre and who can blame him ?

Comment

• Master Jacques
                  • Feb 2012

Pappano certainly didn't hold back this morning on R4. Some quotes:

"The politicians don't come - unlike Italy, where the presidente arrives to support the opera, and is greeted with applause, or Germany" ... "We're embarrassed by .. a strange and misguided wokism ... the idea that something going on in a church basement or something is more important than what's going on in a big opera house... give me a break!" ... "The Arts Council have to be advocates for the arts ... I don't see it ... I'm very, very disappointed in the Arts Council, hugely disappointed" ... "They say that opera isn't a growth industry? Rubbish!!"

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Pappano in The Times (sorry, paywall)

The new chief conductor at the London Symphony insists cultural organisations are there to perform rather than educate or deal with society’s ills

'The new chief conductor at the London Symphony Orchestra has bemoaned Arts Council England’s focus on diversity and social work rather than performance, adding that it was unfair to ask cultural organisations to “do the government’s work”.
                    Sir Antonio Pappano, the country’s pre-eminent conductor, said the arts funding body “did not seem to be supporting” classical music organisations and only held “discussions focused on community, diversity and all those social aspects”.
                    Pappano, who is taking on the role with the London Symphony Orchestra (LSO) after two decades at the Royal ­Opera, added: “We are a musical outfit, it is about performing.
                    “It is not the LSO or Royal Philharmonic or London Philharmonic’s ­responsibility to educate children. It is the government’s job to start educating children and creating not only talent for the future but also audiences.” '

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

This should be a shareable link:

Comment

• Master Jacques
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Thank you for the link. He's really on the warpath today, one medium and another. It's time somebody told it like it is, and all credit to him for doing so.

Comment

• gradus
                          • Nov 2010

Bravo Sir Antonio!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                            • Apr 2014

Pappano certainly didn't hold back this morning on R4. Some quotes:

"The politicians don't come - unlike Italy, where the presidente arrives to support the opera, and is greeted with applause, or Germany" ... "We're embarrassed by .. a strange and misguided wokism ... the idea that something going on in a church basement or something is more important than what's going on in a big opera house... give me a break!" ... "The Arts Council have to be advocates for the arts ... I don't see it ... I'm very, very disappointed in the Arts Council, hugely disappointed" ... "They say that opera isn't a growth industry? Rubbish!!"
                            Let’s face it Master J a passion for opera is fast becoming the “love that dare not speak its name “ . In that spirit I am “outing “ prominent people who I know nurture that secret passion . David Mellor (always in the stalls at ROH) , the late Baron Vaizey (the epitome of a cultured politician ) , former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams , Michael Gove , George Cameron, Christopher Chope and Angela Rayner. The last , quite extraordinarily , had her visit to Glyndebourne thrown in her face by a Tory minister . I remember her reply was quite witty and indeed revealed a good knowledge of the Figaro plot .
                            Perhaps things will change….when one of the very few politicians to reach a decent level on a musical instrument assumes power.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Let’s face it Master J a passion for opera is fast becoming the “love that dare not speak its name “ . In that spirit I am “outing “ prominent people who I know nurture that secret passion . David Mellor (always in the stalls at ROH) , the late Baron Vaizey (the epitome of a cultured politician ) , former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams , Michael Gove , George Cameron, Christopher Chope and Angela Rayner. The last , quite extraordinarily , had her visit to Glyndebourne thrown in her face by a Tory minister . I remember her reply was quite witty and indeed revealed a good knowledge of the Figaro plot .
                              Perhaps things will change….when one of the very few politicians to reach a decent level on a musical instrument assumes power.
                              Surely there are already too many on the fiddle!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

David Mellor (always in the stalls at ROH
                                I once noticed him at the neighbouring urinal to me at the Barbican. I resisted striking up a conversation.

Comment

Working...
                                X