Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just noticed this article saying Classic FM scrapped its 'Full Works' evening concert in 2022 and .. wait for it ... 'Instead, they are going to extend the preceding Smooth Classics at Seven to fill the full three hours.​'

And: 'Classic FM and its management should understand that if they change the station and scrap long established programmes (or presenters), even their most loyal listeners will look elsewhere. It’s not too late to think again and bring back the Evening Concert, which has been a fixture of our evenings for the last 30 years.' Did they think again, I wonder?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I think they stuck to the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Just noticed this article saying Classic FM scrapped its 'Full Works' evening concert in 2022 and .. wait for it ... 'Instead, they are going to extend the preceding Smooth Classics at Seven to fill the full three hours.​'

And: 'Classic FM and its management should understand that if they change the station and scrap long established programmes (or presenters), even their most loyal listeners will look elsewhere. It’s not too late to think again and bring back the Evening Concert, which has been a fixture of our evenings for the last 30 years.' Did they think again, I wonder?

http://jonathan.rawle.org/2022/06/30...fter-30-years/
        Anybody who wants to provide some soothing musical wallpaper at some point during the evening (which I do on occasions) will find that Zeb Soanes, who was lured away from Radio 4, makes a better job of it than any current Radio 3 has managed so far.
        In my book, Classic FM's scrapping of its Full Works concert was no more criminal an act than Radio 3's scrapping of 4 out of 5 Lunchtime Concerts.
        Last edited by LMcD; 17-04-24, 18:39.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          In my book, Classic FM's scrapping of its Full Works concert was no more criminal an act than Radio 3's scrapping of 4 out of 5 Lunchtime Concerts.
          My point was that both decisions were probably taken by Sam Jackson. And Classic FM's listening figures were going down. Will he have the same result with R3?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

That article is (or was), perhaps, worryingly prescient in the light of the recent changes at R3. I would take issue, though, with the reference to Richard Baker taking over the presenting of the CFM Evening Concert and describing him merely as "a former newsreader". Yes, he was a newsreader but he was a lot more than that and had a fine track record in classical music broadcasting with programmes on radio and TV including, of course, being a regular on 'Face the Music' and a presenter of televised Proms. I'm not sure that the current crop of CFM presenters who are ex-BBC newsreaders have that same classical music pedigree (although happy to be corrected on that point).

Comment

.............AND they've added a Jazz prog - Round Midnight - which has crushed the crucial radio-rhythm and very welcome 'Night Tracks' - WHY?
              The thinking [Ha!] round this re-balancing of stuff is zany. V.unhappy here/.

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                That article is (or was), perhaps, worryingly prescient in the light of the recent changes at R3. I would take issue, though, with the reference to Richard Baker taking over the presenting of the CFM Evening Concert and describing him merely as "a former newsreader". Yes, he was a newsreader but he was a lot more than that and had a fine track record in classical music broadcasting with programmes on radio and TV including, of course, being a regular on 'Face the Music' and a presenter of televised Proms. I'm not sure that the current crop of CFM presenters who are ex-BBC newsreaders have that same classical music pedigree (although happy to be corrected on that point).
                John Suchet wrote a (rather good ) fictionalised multi vol. biography of Beethoven and Alexander Armstrong was a Trinity College Choral Scholar.
                A propos of absolutely nothing Richard Baker once gave a radio colleague of mine a lecture on how to take a vinyl out of a sleeve without touching the surface. Tricky in the days of static “cling. “

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                  John Suchet wrote a (rather good ) fictionalised multi vol. biography of Beethoven and Alexander Armstrong was a Trinity College Choral Scholar.

Thank you for that info.

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                  ...how to take a vinyl out of a sleeve without touching the surface. Tricky in the days of static “cling“
                  Indeed, I remember it well...!

Comment

My point was that both decisions were probably taken by Sam Jackson. And Classic FM's listening figures were going down. Will he have the same result with R3?
                    I was merely wondering whether Radio 3 is in some danger of starting to come across as a kind of Classic FM for people with a slightly longer attention span,

Comment

I was merely wondering whether Radio 3 is in some danger of starting to come across as a kind of Classic FM for people with a slightly longer attention span,
                      So a subset of the CFM audience? Not sure how successful that would be in terms of boosting ratings!

The real problem is that for decades the changes to R3 schedules have tended to ease out the knowledgeable/inquiring R3 listener, and there is no interest at the BBC in 'replenishing' that audience.

Comment

The real problem is that for decades the changes to R3 schedules have tended to ease out the knowledgeable/inquiring R3 listener, and there is no interest at the BBC in 'replenishing' that audience.
                        Ain't that the truth!

Comment

Ain't that the truth!
                          R3's just waiting for someone to post on mumsnet: "Actually, Radio 3 is much better than it used to be. Like Classic FM now, without the depressing ads for stairlifts, care homes and funeral plans." Then they'll know they've arrived where they wanted to be - wooing the CFM listeners.

Comment

R3's just waiting for someone to post on mumsnet: "Actually, Radio 3 is much better than it used to be. Like Classic FM now, without the depressing ads for stairlifts, care homes and funeral plans." Then they'll know they've arrived where they wanted to be - wooing the CFM listeners.
                            Woo-hoo!

I listened to Classical Live while eating my lunch and tackling a crossword - isn't it the same mish-mash as the previous weekday 2.00 p.m. programme but with an arguably less inaccurate and hopefully less formal (and therefore more inviting) title?

Comment

I listened to Classical Live while eating my lunch and tackling a crossword - isn't it the same mish-mash as the previous weekday 2.00 p.m. programme but with an arguably less inaccurate and hopefully less formal (and therefore more inviting) title?
                              Yes, they've given up on even pretending that Radio 3 is in the business of presenting proper concerts, with complete works uninterrupted by gobbets. I counted a total of two - yes, two - complete full length works on the channel between 6pm and midnight yesterday: a popular Beethoven symphony and another by Sibelius. Radio 3 is in danger of becoming a laughing stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                                Radio 3 is in danger of becoming a laughing stock.
                                ... 'becoming' ?!

Comment

Working...
                                X