Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    The only regular exceptions to this general pattern of (no longer) listening are the Monday Lunchtime Concert and Private Passions.
    I haven't listened to Private Passions since the schedule changes. I've sometimes enjoyed the music choices and found the interviewee interesting. But, does this programme really warrant an hour and a half? Are the musical excerpts longer? I will give it another listen soon but I have my doubts.

Oops, just wondering if I should've posted this on the PP thread.
    Last edited by hmvman; 23-04-24, 20:48. Reason: Additional thought

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

As the new head gardener, is Sam J mulching or adding manure?
      Selective weedkiller.

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post

I haven't listened to Private Passions since the schedule changes. I've sometimes enjoyed the music choices and found the interviewee interesting. But, does this programme really warrant an hour and a half? Are the musical excerpts longer? I will give it another listen soon but I have my doubts.

Oops, just wondering if I should've posted this on the PP thread.
        Possibly, but it's also part of the schedule changes, so just as relevant here. Whether the extra half hour is a good thing or not will depend on whether one considers PP worth doing at all I suspect. I have only listened properly to last Sunday's "new form" so far but I didn't feel the time dragged, but then I enjoy PP anyway. I don't know about the extra length of the music contributions, but with only 7 in the 90 mins it's possible that might have been the case. The extra time might avoid the "that was part of..." which happens sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Possibly, but it's also part of the schedule changes, so just as relevant here. Whether the extra half hour is a good thing or not will depend on whether one considers PP worth doing at all I suspect. I have only listened properly to last Sunday's "new form" so far but I didn't feel the time dragged, but then I enjoy PP anyway. I don't know about the extra length of the music contributions, but with only 7 in the 90 mins it's possible that might have been the case. The extra time might avoid the "that was part of..." which happens sometimes.
          I was hoping for something like this with the extended This Classical Life (which I probably like more than many around here), but they've pulled a bit of a fast one. While there's a little more time for Jess Gillan, the guest, and their musical choices, about 15 minutes is just padding at each end of the programme with short playlist selections that aren't shared with the guest or discussed. The new format of Music Matters is bulked out in a similar way throughout the programme, and of course most of the Tom Service slot is like this. Every programme, eventually, will become Essential Classics.

Comment

Originally posted by Retune View Post

I was hoping for something like this with the extended This Classical Life (which I probably like more than many around here), but they've pulled a bit of a fast one. While there's a little more time for Jess Gillan, the guest, and their musical choices, about 15 minutes is just padding at each end of the programme with short playlist selections that aren't shared with the guest or discussed. The new format of Music Matters is bulked out in a similar way throughout the programme, and of course most of the Tom Service slot is like this. Every programme, eventually, will become Essential Classics.
            Perhaps they're trying to attract people with short attention ... 'That's a nice restful tune ..Gosh, those front windows definitely need cleaning ... Did I remember to take this evening's meal out of the freezer to defrost? .... Cripes, it's Tuesday and I've forgotten to put the wheelie bin by the front gate ... Hello, they weren't playing something for piano a moment ago ....No matter, this piece is just as relaxing as the previous one ... Mozart is it? ...Now - 14 down - 'Gegs' (9, 4)'

Comment

Perhaps they're trying to attract people with short attention ... 'That's a nice restful tune ..Gosh, those front windows definitely need cleaning ... Did I remember to take this evening's meal out of the freezer to defrost? .... Cripes, it's Tuesday and I've forgotten to put the wheelie bin by the front gate ... Hello, they weren't playing something for piano a moment ago ....No matter, this piece is just as relaxing as the previous one ... Mozart is it? ...Now - 14 down - 'Gegs' (9, 4)'
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

You appear to have a scarily accurate insight into the workings of my mind . Bin day is Thursday though .

Comment

Isn’t that the second law of thermodynamics ? entropy . Every thing decays to a vast cosmic energy less sludge.

Comment

Has anyone read this Radio Times interview ('out today')?:

Is this also the source of the Times article? There's a short piece on the open RT site that uses some of the same quotes as the Times, I assume excerpted from the longer RT interview:

BBC Radio 3 Controller Sam Jackson spoke with this week's issue of Radio Times magazine, and responded to criticism that he is "dumbing down" the station.

'Asked if the criticism bothers him, Jackson said: "I don’t like it when I’m out on a dog walk across the Easter weekend with one of my kids and my phone is buzzing because a critic has decided to put out a tweet with personal criticism of me."'

Naturally Sam Jackson likes another Times piece from Richard Morrison, who is doing the current Music Matters:

'He has moved a record review programme from Saturday morning to Saturday afternoon, which has apparently “ruined the weekend” of those who can’t get their heads round something called BBC Sounds, which allows you to play any radio programme at any time of the day or night.'

Strange how everybody who is dismissive of this change never seems to mention the 45 minutes that have been slashed from the runtime, or the end of RR Extra, or the demise of the previous afternoon programme, Inside Music (Patricia Kopatchinskaja's episode of a programme that has now been cancelled was one of the highlights of the year so far for me).

Comment

Thanks Retune for the heads-up. Same old same... As oddoneout so eloquently said, diddums.

That rather plasticky​ photo of Sam J reminds me of something...

Last edited by AuntDaisy; 24-04-24, 07:40.

Comment

'Asked if the criticism bothers him, Jackson said: "I don’t like it when I’m out on a dog walk across the Easter weekend with one of my kids and my phone is buzzing because a critic has decided to put out a tweet with personal criticism of me."'
                        Well, there is a really simple solution to that one!

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Well, there is a really simple solution to that one!
                          Yes that caught my eye. How about being a fully present father and giving the child a few minutes of attention, instead of doing the "I'm so important I have to be in contact 24/7"

Comment

Has anyone read this Radio Times interview ('out today')?.
                            That's funny. It doesn't look like a new interview. It looks mostly like some gobbets from The Times and a regurgitation of the publicity when he was appointed:

""BBC Radio 3 is unlike any other station: a network delivering ambitious , unique content, with live classical music at its core." Remind me: how much live classical music is there now? Does R3 have a rather tiny core nowadays (Proms, of course, excepted. And assuming they won't just be available on Sounds).

Really, how can an intelligent human being say "Don't they know they can listen on Sounds?" and also complain that when he's out walking his dog his phone keeps bleeping? Perhaps one of his kids can show him how to turn it off.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Although I do not listen to Classical Live, I am wondering in what way playing Das Lied von der Erde a movement each day is not "dumbing down".
                              Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 24-04-24, 11:29. Reason: Removal of terrible pun.

Comment

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                                Although I do not listen to Classical Live, I am wondering in what way playing Das Lied von der Erde a movement each day is not "dumbing down".
                                Your wonderment is widely shared! I wonder if they'll fragment 'Der Abschied' - resuming at 'Er stieg vom Pferd'?

Comment

Working...
                                X