Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your last comment almost seems to somewhat belittle the music of your fellow countrymen, you should be proud of many of them who have evolved very distinct styles, no mean feat in the 20th century, a number of American composers are as good as their European counterparts and I often get far more out of their music than many of the 'great' composers. Americans just aren't very good at promoting their composers when their orchestras tour, they either put in the occasional American work, often a 'safe' choice' or something rather forgettable, the rest of the time its the same standard European classics with huge doses of Mahler *yawns*. Mind you here in the UK we haven't been that good in the past at promoting our own composers either, though I think we've improved somewhat in recent years, at least with some composers.
    Diamond is not perhaps the easiest composer to get to grips with and is deceptive, in that he demands far more concentrated listening then you would initially expect. The works from the 1950s & 60s are perhaps more difficult to take at times, but once you've got really into his music and the man it all comes together.

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
      Your last comment almost seems to somewhat belittle the music of your fellow countrymen, you should be proud of many of them who have evolved very distinct styles, no mean feat in the 20th century, a number of American composers are as good as their European counterparts and I often get far more out of their music than many of the 'great' composers. Americans just aren't very good at promoting their composers when their orchestras tour, they either put in the occasional American work, often a 'safe' choice' or something rather forgettable, the rest of the time its the same standard European classics with huge doses of Mahler *yawns*. Mind you here in the UK we haven't been that good in the past at promoting our own composers either, though I think we've improved somewhat in recent years, at least with some composers.
      Diamond is not perhaps the easiest composer to get to grips with and is deceptive, in that he demands far more concentrated listening then you would initially expect. The works from the 1950s & 60s are perhaps more difficult to take at times, but once you've got really into his music and the man it all comes together.
      Totally agree Suffy the more I listen to the 3rd symphony for example the better it seems to get ........ wrong thread but I like the artwork on the Naxos/Seattle symphonies too .......

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        .... I like the artwork on the Naxos/Seattle symphonies too .......
        Agreed.
        Not quite worth rebuying for, though, to get this

rather than this

Comment

Quite enjoyed this music of Diamonds. I must investigate further. A great pity with the serialists blocking these composers. when they did. Perhaps blocking is the wrong word to use here.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Not sure if anybody flagged this up, but this performance of the 7 th symphony ( Ormandy/ Philadelphia) has some extensive notes attached, well worth a read, I think. And a listen, of course.

Philadelphia Orchestra conducted by Eugene Ormandy.I - Andante - Un poco più mosso - Allegro, ma non tanto - Meno mosso - Più mosso - Andante: 0:00II - Andan...

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
            X