Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Don’t get me wrong ed, I love many, probably most of OK’s recordings but a few now have not aged well. How much fun is the merrymaking in his Beethoven 6. Try Cluytens and E Kleiber from the 50s and I think you’ll see what I mean. OK Leaden Gems - good or not?

Yes but Klemperer’s final movement of the Pastoral reaches a level of spiritual transcendence that few conductors have got any where near. The tremendous harmonic climax of the movement with that thrilling climatic chord sequence F , D min, G7 and then the stroke of genius C7 , F7 with a suspended G . No one has done it better…

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I’m wondering whether the issue has more to do with the record company recording methods and, in particular, the transfer of old analogue recordings to CD. My judgement is clouded by the Philips CD’s I have of Neville and the band in the late Mozart symphonies.
      I have been enjoying his later EMI recordings of the final Mozart symphonies and find they have a little more spirit and 'edge'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Yes but Klemperer’s final movement of the Pastoral reaches a level of spiritual transcendence that few conductors have got any where near. The tremendous harmonic climax of the movement with that thrilling climatic chord sequence F , D min, G7 and then the stroke of genius C7 , F7 with a suspended G . No one has done it better…
        Karajan comes close in his Philharmonia recording - which is far better than any of his DG pastorals.

Comment

I enjoyed this performance of Britten's Les Illuminations by NM with the ASMF and Anthony Rolfe Johnson from a 1983 Prom on the iPlayer:

I didn't enjoy the performance of the Mendelssohn Italian symphony as much but I rather think it's a work I don't get on with that much anyway - one of those pieces one feels one ought to enjoy but don't.

With reference to a conversation on another thread, this Prom is 'presented' by the late, great Richard Baker - and what a contrast in style to the hyperbolic, hyperventilating presenting style of TV Proms nowadays!

Comment

Originally posted by akiralx View Post

I have been enjoying his later EMI recordings of the final Mozart symphonies and find they have a little more spirit and 'edge'.
            Going back to his Argo Mozart his Sym 25/29 coupling was outsatanding.

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
              I enjoyed this performance of Britten's Les Illuminations by NM with the ASMF and Anthony Rolfe Johnson from a 1983 Prom on the iPlayer:

I didn't enjoy the performance of the Mendelssohn Italian symphony as much but I rather think it's a work I don't get on with that much anyway - one of those pieces one feels one ought to enjoy but don't.
              Indeed a Symphony not lacking in tunes but without the gravitas and joy of the Scotch and the Reformation.

Comment

I think the Italian is a terrific work when played with passion rather than neatly . Abbado/LSO for example .

Comment

Indeed a Symphony not lacking in tunes but without the gravitas and joy of the Scotch and the Reformation.
                  Agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    I think the Italian is a terrific work when played with passion rather than neatly . Abbado/LSO for example .
                    I would characterise Abbado /LSO as neat & passionate.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

Perhaps I should have said just neatly.

Comment

I've heard many performances of the 'Italian', both live and recorded, but, sadly, none have changed my view of the work.

Comment

My favorites are Bernstein/NYP and Stokowski/National Philharmonic

Comment

Beecham, Cantelli, van Beinum and Krips for me are the essential interpretations. . I find the 'Italian' endlessly delightful. I have an old, beautifully-printed Novello score which helps me enjoy the inexaustible joy and the contrapuntal subtlety of the string writing, e.g. the first movement coda. .

Comment

Are you talking about the 1968 Decca - this is one of the best! Also the old IPO/Solti and NPO/Sawallisch!

Comment

Are you talking about the 1968 Decca - this is one of the best! Also the old IPO/Solti and NPO/Sawallisch!
                                Indeed, golden , passionate oldies.

Comment

Working...
                                X