Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andrew Davis and Tippett, by Oliver Soden

Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere yet, but there's a wonderful Gramophone magazine piece online today:

Thanks, that was very interesting. I'm almost tempted to read his biography of Tippett now, although I didn't enjoy his biography of Noel Coward, which didn't add very much that was new.

Comment

Thank you for sharing that wonderful piece, I probably wouldn’t have seen it otherwise!

[No I am not its author and my handle here has nothing to do with him, I’ve been using it since he was in his mid-teens…]

Comment

Sir Andrew was indeed a champion of Tippett's music, and that of Hugh Wood, which I often think would have perished without his tireless advocacy. Wood was intensely self -critical and knowing Davis was there to give his music a superb premiere must have encouraged him.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post

[No I am not its author and my handle here has nothing to do with him, I’ve been using it since he was in his mid-teens…]
          I did wonder ...
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
            Thanks, that was very interesting. I'm almost tempted to read his biography of Tippett now, although I didn't enjoy his biography of Noel Coward, which didn't add very much that was new.
            Yes, do read his Tippett book - it's beautifully written, and unexpectedly moving. His 'biography' of Christopher Smart's Cat Jeofrey is an equally delightful read.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post

Yes, do read his Tippett book - it's beautifully written, and unexpectedly moving. His 'biography' of Christopher Smart's Cat Jeofrey is an equally delightful read.
              4th symphonies of Tippett and Vaughan Williams conducted by Sir Andrew at his last Prom in 2022 can be heard tomorrow (Thursday) evening at 7.30 p.m. on Radio 3.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

4th symphonies of Tippett and Vaughan Williams conducted by Sir Andrew at his last Prom in 2022 can be heard tomorrow (Thursday) evening at 7.30 p.m. on Radio 3.
                Excellent, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X