X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late night: Poulenc piano solo on 2CDs with Gabriel Tacchino.

Went to get my i paper and was pleased to catch sight of Mojo magazine with a cover disc of Dylan's Blonde on Blonde (50 years!). This cheered me up a bit after reading the i's headline: Britain heading for Brexit. The disc turned out to be very enjoyable, a worthy tribute to a classic album and a good way to hear the songs anew. I now follow rock music so little that all the artists were previously unknown to me.

Comment

Anton Bruckner - Symphony #3
      Royal Scottish National Orchestra, George Tintner. Naxos.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        Chopin Preludes here too Stan,Pollini.
        Hiya Rob,

I have a number of sets of the Chopin Preludes. The Pollini set might be my first choice, then Pogorelich and then Claudio Arrau. It's shame that my favourite Chopin interpreter Artur Rubinstein only recorded mono recordings from 1946 that have poor sound quality.

Comment

Dvorak: Symphony No.3 i9n Eb, Op.10; Piano Concerto in G Minor, Op.33.
          Garrick Ohlsson(piano), Czech PO, Jiri Behlalohvek
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Just back from a long walk along the coast listening to Mahler 7, Klemperer, New Philharmonia. EMI France. Good job it was a long walk! This is a very interesting performance. Yes, it's waaaaay too slow and parts of it are just plain silly! But it reveals so much detail and texture that I was unaware of, listening to more normal tempoed performances. In fact, I've listened to this recording about 15 times since March. Certainly not a first choice, but I honestly would not like to be without it.

Thanks to Petrushka for bringing it to the forum's attention a little while back.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              Anton Bruckner - Symphony #3
              Royal Scottish National Orchestra, George Tintner. Naxos.
              To use the much-hackneyed term; a very 'underrated' set (in my books, at least - for what that's worth!)

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                To use the much-hackneyed term; a very 'underrated' set (in my books, at least - for what that's worth!)
                It has its supporters (obviously that includes your good self!), I have sung the praises of Tintner and this cycle often enough. But you are probably right that it qualifies as underrated.

Comment

Prompted by the YouTube posting of Music with Changing Parts as played by the Cluster Ensemble mentioned a few days ago, I ordered their "Cluster Ensemble Plays Philip Glass". It arrived today and their studio recording of the work just mentioned is now spinning here. It's a rather smoother performance than the old Philip Glass Ensemble's, or indeed that recorded by Ice Breaker. The triple album of Two Pages, Music in Fifths, Music in Contrary Motion, Music in Similar Motions and Music with Changing Parts is currently on off at Presto Classical for £11. Mind you, the content, differently ordered, would have fitted easily on just 2 discs. The set is very handsomely presented, however.

Recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    It has its supporters (obviously that includes your good self!), I have sung the praises of Tintner and this cycle often enough. But you are probably right that it qualifies as underrated.
                    I'm never quite sure what 'underrated' really means in this context, but I know that you know what I mean!

Tonight so far:

Bloch
                    Voice in the Wilderness
                    Israel Philharmonic Orchestra/Zubin Mehta and Janos Starker/cello

Chausson
                    Symphonie,
                    Soir de Fete,
                    Viviane
                    Orchestre du Capitole de Toulouse/Michel Plasson

Comment

Hiya visualnickmos,

Strange how we all tend to differ so widely. I collected all the Tintner/Naxos cycle but never warmed to it at all. I thought the cycle would grow on me but it never did. My recommendations are for the Gunter Wand recordings from the WDR Symphony Orchestra Cologne and also the NDR SO and especially the Berliner Philharmoniker.

Comment

This evening:

Listening to my scores 92:

Peter Mennin:
                        Symphony No 6 - study score
                        Messiaen:
                        L'Ascension - Quatre Meditations pour orchestre - study score
                        Milhaud:
                        Symphony No 1 - study score

Comment

I'm never quite sure what 'underrated' really means in this context, but I know that you know what I mean!

Tonight so far:

Bloch
                          Voice in the Wilderness
                          Israel Philharmonic Orchestra/Zubin Mehta and Janos Starker/cello

Chausson
                          Symphonie,
                          Soir de Fete,
                          Viviane
                          Orchestre du Capitole de Toulouse/Michel Plasson
                          Talking of the underrated your listening above falls neatly into the category. I got to know the Bloch via the Nelsova/Ansermet recording and don't think I ever saw another recording until the Starker/Mehta came out. The Chausson Symphony also with Denzler and then Ansermet, but also Munch around the same time.

Comment

‘The French Collection’ - Piotr Beczala
                            Opera arias by Massenet, Berlioz, Verdi, Boieldieu, Donizetti, Gounod, Bizet

Piotr Beczala (tenor)
                            Diana Damrau, soprano (Manon duet)
                            Orchestre de l’Opéra National de Lyon/Alain Altinoglu
                            Recorded 2014, Auditorium Maurice-Ravel, Lyon,
                            Deutsche Grammophon

Saint-Saëns
                            Piano Quartet in B flat major, Op 41
                            Piano Quartet in E major, Op. posth
                            Barcarolle for Piano Quartet, Op.108
                            (arranged 1909 from Barcarolle for piano, violin, cello & harmonium)
                            Mozart Piano Quartet
                            Recorded 2007/08 Ehemaliges Ackerhaus der Abtei, Marienmünster
                            MDG

Kenny Dorham with Charles Davis, Steve Kuhn, Jimmy Garrison, Butch Warren & Buddy Enlow
                            ‘Jazz Contemporary’
                            Time Records (1960)

Comment

This evening:

Listening to my scores 93:

Milhaud:
                              Symphony No 3 'Te Deum' - study score
                              Moeran:
                              Sinfonietta - study score
                              Violin Concerto - study score

I absolutely adore the Moeran Concerto, my favourite Violin Concerto of all.

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                                This evening:

Listening to my scores 93:
                                I'm genuinely puzzled as to whether you apply the same systematic approach you seem to adopt with music to other aspects of your life?

"This morning, putting on my underpants 26, blue ones"
                                "This evening choosing an appropriate chilli sauce to go with the aubergines, Melindas Habanero XXX" (i'm assuming i'm not alone in having multiple possibilities of chilli sauce ? )

Comment

Working...
                                X