• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walton

Piano Quartet/String Quartet

Peter Donohoe,Maggini Quartet

Comment

A friend recently played me a cd of Reger's music for solo violin that was chosen as a 'disc of the month' in Gramophone. I was very impressed with it and was delighted to find a cd in my local Shelter Shop of what seem to be transcriptions of Reger's music for solo 'cello (op. 131) played on the guitar by Heiki Mätlik.

It's very soothing and great for late nite listening. I can find no trace of this disc on Amazon, Gramophone or Presto's website.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        Walton

Piano Quartet/String Quartet

Peter Donohoe,Maggini Quartet

Excellent cd!

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          Excellent cd!
          Yes indeed PG,goes without saying when the Magginis are involved,and Peter Donohoe for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
            Yes indeed PG,goes without saying when the Magginis are involved,and Peter Donohoe for that matter.
            This needs to be investigated!!!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Alban Berg.

'Lulu Suite'

Wiener Philharmoniker.

Claudio Abbado.

(Deutsche Grammophone)

This is a cd I was given recently by a work colleague who knows I like music. His partner worked in a bookshop in Edinburgh that closed and, on their last day, they were told to help themselves to what stock remained. She picked up, at random, a big pile of classical CDs which I now have!

The Berg was one of them.

Comment

Mountbatten Festival of Music 2014

Massed Bands of HM Royal Marines. Various conductors and soloists.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Mozart: Symphony No 41 (Jupiter)

[interval]

Bruckner: Symphony No 9

Wiener Philharmoniker
                  Carl Schuricht
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Alban Berg.

'Lulu Suite'

Wiener Philharmoniker.

Claudio Abbado.

(Deutsche Grammophone)

This is a cd I was given recently by a work colleague who knows I like music. His partner worked in a bookshop in Edinburgh that closed and, on their last day, they were told to help themselves to what stock remained. She picked up, at random, a big pile of classical CDs which I now have!

The Berg was one of them.
                    Nice.

So this one is just the tip of the iceBerg ?

Groan.

Today, listening included Elgar 2, LPO Handley, and Finzi, Dies Natalis, Brown/ ECO/ Finzi.
                    All courtesy of a fellow boarder, and both excellent.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

That Handley Elgar 2 is terrific! I've had it on Lp, cassette and cd and have listened many, many times. The last time I listened was on our super, dooper hi-fi and I noticed underground activity at various quiet bits! The organ at the end is really tummy wobbling.

I'm sure I remember reading in Gramophone that correspondents had wished for Todd to re-record both the Elgar symphonies. Alas, it was not to be.

Comment

That Handley Elgar 2 is terrific! I've had it on Lp, cassette and cd and have listened many, many times. The last time I listened was on our super, dooper hi-fi and I noticed underground activity at various quiet bits! The organ at the end is really tummy wobbling.

I'm sure I remember reading in Gramophone that correspondents had wished for Todd to re-record both the Elgar symphonies. Alas, it was not to be.
                        Listened to it in the car,and was very impressed indeed, as far as one can be in a car. Must listen at home properly very soon.

( picking up new company car tomorrow, with optional speaker/sound system upgrade.)
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

( picking up new company car tomorrow, with optional speaker/sound system upgrade.)
                          ... do any new cars still offer CD players as an option?

Comment

Malcolm Arnold - Concerto for 2 pianos [3 hands] and orchestra (Op.104)
                            Performer: David Nettle. Performer: Richard Markham. Orchestra: Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Conductor: Vernon Handley.

Heard this on Breakfast this morning chosen for the Factor of 3 or whatever music box - I'd never heard it before and find it quite wonderful ......

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... do any new cars still offer CD players as an option?
                              The one I am picking up is supposed to have one as standard. It had better.....
                              Although my current car has the CD player in the glove box. No,it really does. And it is a reasonably well thought of manufacturer.
                              My( limited ) experience of " connectivity" in modern cars it that it mostly designed to suit the manufacturer rather than the user/ chooser, which I think is the jargon, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                Malcolm Arnold - Concerto for 2 pianos [3 hands] and orchestra (Op.104)
                                Performer: David Nettle. Performer: Richard Markham. Orchestra: Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Conductor: Vernon Handley..

Comment

Working...
                                X