What baroque/early music are you listening to?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What baroque/early music are you listening to?

Over the past few days I've been a fair bit of Baroque/earlier stuff.

Richard Barrett's post on another thread biggin-up Richard Egarr's latest AAM Handel Op.3 Concerti Grossi got me going (great performances). I went on to Manze's Op.6 concerti and bought Il Giardino Armonico's set - performed with 2 days stubble, flies undone and hair greased back.

There were some great snippets from the Brilliant Classics latest Vivaldi mahusive box set release on Saturday's CD Review on R3.

Yesterday I took in Vivaldi's L'Estro Armonico Op.3 performed by Fabio Biondi and Europa Galante. Biondi and Galante are an amazing combo!!

Right now I'm listening to:

Vivaldi 'Concerto in G major for 2 Mandolins, RV 532'
    New London Consort, Philip Picket.

It doesn't have the vim and bite of the Giardino's rendition, but it is still a most excellent performance.

This evening I am relaxing with a glass of JWDB and listening to some early music on YouTube. A band that is new to me, but keeps coming up in my searches is "Arte Dei Suonatori". They sound quite good. Anyone got the lowdown on 'em?

Comment

cup of tea and some Zelenka and Pisendel performed by the Freiburgs / VonDer Goltz for me tonight.

( Not watching the big game, Beefy?)
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        cup of tea and some Zelenka and Pisendel performed by the Freiburgs / VonDer Goltz for me tonight.

( Not watching the big game, Beefy?)
        What game?

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          What game?
          forget I mentioned it.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

This evening I am relaxing with a glass of JWDB and listening to some early music on YouTube. A band that is new to me, but keeps coming up in my searches is "Arte Dei Suonatori". They sound quite good. Anyone got the lowdown on 'em?
            Back on topic.........

Comment

A Polish band. See here, ## 382-6.

(Going to see Rachel Podger in Swansea tomorrow - Handel, Bach, Vivaldi, Biber - but with BBC NOW, not this lot )

Comment

I was considering a program of Harnoncourt's CMW Haydn and Telemann, but I was just too busy....

Liverpool 2 Manchester Utd 0

...and it may well be the same next Thursday too....

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  I was considering a program of Harnoncourt's CMW Haydn and Telemann, but I was just too busy....

Liverpool 2 Manchester Utd 0

...and it may well be the same next Thursday too....
                  Ooooh Jayne,didn't know you had a mischievous streak.

Comment

Back on topic.........
                    Er, yes indeed

Thanks to ardcarp for mentioning the Maria Cristina Kiehr clips
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      A Polish band. See here, ## 382-6.

(Going to see Rachel Podger in Swansea tomorrow - Handel, Bach, Vivaldi, Biber - but with BBC NOW, not this lot )
                      Thanks Richard. Probably for all the wrong reasons, I didn't expect this band to be Polish!

Comment

I had a nice long chill out evening last night, listening to Corelli's Concerti Grossi.

There's a good selection on Apple Music and I have to say I was blown away by Neville Marriner ASMITF performances.

I also listened to the Pinnock - very good, but I thought NM is in a different league.

Interestingly, over the last few days I've been indulging in Handel's Op.6 Concerti, but I think the Corelli are much more enjoyable. I did not expect that. I have had the Naxos discs for a few years, but the music never really took off, until last night! Maybe the JWDB helped

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          Ooooh Jayne,didn't know you had a mischievous streak.
                          Then you would appear not to have been reading all of her posts with sufficient care!...

Comment

Please stay on topic - I have had a complaint and am giving gentle hints.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Please stay on topic - I have had a complaint and am giving gentle hints.
                              Some people seem to have nothing better to do than complain!

Yesterday evening: chamber music by J-M Leclair (overtures for two violins and continuo, sonatas for two unaccompanied violins), a marvellous recording by the great Musica antiqua Köln of music by a very neglected composer, whose violin concertos (recorded by Simon Standage on Chandos) and opera Scylla et Glaucus (recorded by JEG on Erato) can sit well beside anything else in those genres from the early 18th century.

Comment

Working...
                              X