Sibelius 6 & 7 together, without a break?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sibelius 6 & 7 together, without a break?

This is how my idol Sir Simon Rattle performs them. How do you think of this, please?
    They make a perfect pair!
    0%
    It doesn't matter.
    0%
    It kills them both XD
    0%

I've been lucky enough to hear Sibelius 5, 6 & 7 in one concert twice. The first time was, iirc, about 10 years ago in Glasgow when Lief Siegerstam conducted the BBC Scottish. I remember it made a very powerful impression. Again, iirc, Siegerstam played 6 & 7 without a break and I did enjoy it.

The second time was a year past February when I heard Sir Simon and Die Berliner Philharmoniker at the Barbican in London. (My attendance at that concert was a series of happy and unhappy accidents!) I really enjoyed that performance too although, if I'm really honest, it didn't have quite the same impact that the BBC SSO concert did.

I feel that having 6&7 played almost as a five movement work takes me into a sound world that I don't want to leave.

I was lucky enough to meet Sir Simon at this years Edinburgh Festival and told him I'd been at that concert. He commented "Yes, we were really hanging on by the skin of our teeth at the end!"

Comment

Why not throw Tapiola in for good measure?
      Or, to extend the concept further, why stop at Sibelius? Since all Brahm's Symphonies 'share the same sound world' let's program all 16 movements consecutively? Or Beethoven's 37 Symphonic movements? Or for a real value packed evening, let's do Haydn?
      Last edited by richardfinegold; 01-10-16, 11:29.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        Or, to extend the concept further, why stop at Sibelius? Since all Brahm's Symphonies 'share the same sound world' let's program all 16 movements consecutively? Or Beethoven's 37 Symphonic movements? Or for a real value packed evening, let's do Haydn?
        Who is this Brahm?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          Who is this Brahm?
          A composer who wrote fewer symphonies than Sibeliu’s seven.

Comment

Works both ways as far as I’m concerned, so I voted it doesn’t matter.

Comment

None of the three options seem to apply where I'm concerned so I won't vote. They are separate works in their own right and there is nothing incomplete about the 6th that it needs the 7th tacking on to make it into a 'proper' symphony. There should be a fourth option for 'leave well alone'.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

6 and 7 are difficult to programme: too short for main items, too weighty for overtures. They rarely seem to get an airing outside of 'all Sibelius' programmes.

I've never quite 'got' the 6th, but my cat loves it, for some reason. Maybe it's music best appreciated by felines?

Comment

People come up with these ideas, but I've never been a fan of saturation programming. Someone once proposed treating Mozart's last 3 symphonies as a single entity.

No way.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    People come up with these ideas, but I've never been a fan of saturation programming. Someone once proposed treating Mozart's last 3 symphonies as a single entity.

No way.
                    Norrington. Brilliant. You should try it (and saturation has nothing to do with it).

Comment

There is no really problem with programming the last three Sibelius symphonies as a mini cycle, and I was very fortunate as a schoolboy to hear the CBSO in the old Town Hall in Birmingham in just such a concert under Simon Rattle in the early 80s (I'm sure that he did the same programme in London too). It's the same with a Brahms Symphony cycle, again with Uncle Simes at the helm in TH: as far as I was concerned, if he was convinced of a concert marathon, then so was I.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Danby View Post
                        There is no really problem with programming the last three Sibelius symphonies as a mini cycle, and I was very fortunate as a schoolboy to hear the CBSO in the old Town Hall in Birmingham in just such a concert under Simon Rattle in the early 80s (I'm sure that he did the same programme in London too). It's the same with a Brahms Symphony cycle, again with Uncle Simes at the helm in TH: as far as I was concerned, if he was convinced of a concert marathon, then so was I.
                        Not forgetting Paavo.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

No way.
                          Harnoncourt did that did he not in his late recording ?

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                            Or all 50 movements of Mahler! The symphonies have occasional motifs that pop up in multiple symphonies, so really it's one 15-hour mega-symphony!

Comment

No problem about including the two pieces in the same programme, but not allowing us to absorb one piece before starting on the next seems disrespectful, even arrogant. I have a problem with conductors who make an unasked for attacca between symphonic movements (eg last two mts of Tchaik 4) and this takes it one step further.

Comment

Working...
                              X