This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    via Qobuz: Sylvaine Billier and Martine Joste playing Ivan Wyschnegradsky's 24 Preludes (1934) for two pianos tuned a quartertone apart - though actually sounding like a single microtonal instrument: I imagine that on a suitable instrument this music could be performed by a single player (unlike the Ives pieces for the same instrumentation). I find myself every now and again returning to these pieces. It would be interesting to hear more music by this composer, very little of whose work has been recorded.
    Are you in touch with Dave Smith regarding Wyschnegradsky? I know, like Warren Burt, he is quite interested in his microtonal work. Come to that, do you know Warren's 39 Dissonant Etudes, each using a different microtonal scale? Those and lots more of his work at http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/...p9dUPF3ybMw%3D Crazy guy I met at the Intermodulation/Soft Machine Prom, way back.

Comment

An All-time favourite record (controversial around here....) I go back to it always in tough times, for soul succour and creature comfort....

Mes favoris
      Cet élément a bien été ajouté / retiré de vos favoris.
      Monteverdi: Vespro

La Tempête, Simon-Pierre Bestion

• Released on 04/10/2019 by Alpha
      • QOBUZ/24-Bit 96.0 kHz - Stereo

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        do you know Warren's 39 Dissonant Etudes, each using a different microtonal scale?
        I do. I've known Warren for many years, and in fact shared a stage with him during my last visit to Australia seven years ago. I didn't know Dave was interested in Wyschnegradsky, but then I haven't been in touch with him for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          I do. I've known Warren for many years, and in fact shared a stage with him during my last visit to Australia seven years ago. I didn't know Dave was interested in Wyschnegradsky, but then I haven't been in touch with him for quite a while.
          Back when he was living in California he had a go at realising the Credo from my Mass Medium. Unfortunately he did not get quite how dirty I wanted the solo part to be made to sound. I specified that it be ring modulated against the overall output of the other participants. He assumed I did not understand how ring modulaton worked, so used sine waves in place of the latter. Far, far too clean. I wanted something more like wandering pink noise as the sum and difference.

Comment

Liszt
            At the Grave of Richard Wagner

Kronos Quartet
            Last edited by Hitch; 24-07-21, 10:02.

Comment

Brahms
              Serenade No.2; Symphony No.1
              Tapiola Sinfonietta/Mario Venzago. Sony CDs 2019.

Comment

VW The Lark Ascending - Haendel/Norrington . I cannot stop playing this - the first recording I have heard in which I can hear a lark over the fields of the Somme rather than a clear blue sky pre war England .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  VW The Lark Ascending - Haendel/Norrington . I cannot stop playing this - the first recording I have heard in which I can hear a lark over the fields of the Somme rather than a clear blue sky pre war England .
                  Ah, the Eloquence box. I don't seem able to find a lossless download option, as yet.
                  Last edited by Bryn; 24-07-21, 00:13. Reason: Did a bit of investigating.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    An All-time favourite record (controversial around here....) I go back to it always in tough times, for soul succour and creature comfort....

Mes favoris
                    Cet élément a bien été ajouté / retiré de vos favoris.
                    Monteverdi: Vespro

La Tempête, Simon-Pierre Bestion

• Released on 04/10/2019 by Alpha
                    • QOBUZ/24-Bit 96.0 kHz - Stereo

How goes this one?
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                      How goes this one?
                      Not much like Monteverdi, unfortunately... I find it pointless and unlistenable, but obviously one's mileage may vary.

Comment

Robin Holloway: Symphony (2000 Proms premiere)

One of those works it's difficult to think what to follow up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Robin Holloway: Symphony (2000 Proms premiere)

One of those works it's difficult to think what to follow up with.
                          How does it compare with the Second Concerto for Orchestra? (Quite a good work IMO).
                          Last edited by Joseph K; 24-07-21, 13:07.

Comment

Three of the best Holloway albums here.....

The Violin Concerto is an astounding creation, the one for Horn a wonderfully entertaining adventure.
                            AFAIK the 4th and 5th Concertos for Orchestra remain commercially unrecorded, as does the symphony whose premiere I only dimly recall.....
                            Classical music and jazz composers. Choral, opera, ballet, orchestral, chamber, piano, strings, concert and brass band music repertoire.

Is that recording on BBC discs somewhere, or an off-air tape....?....

This is very beautiful.....

...there's an orchestral anthology on Chandos as well....
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 24-07-21, 14:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                              How does it compare with the Second Concerto for Orchestra? (Quite a good work IMO).
                              I can't remember now - sorry, it's a long time since I've listened to it. I seem to remember liking it as compared with the first, which was quite Neo-classical.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                                [/url]

Is that recording on BBC discs somewhere, or an off-air tape....?....
                                An off-air tape. jayne.

Comment

Working...
                                X