This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Blame Suzy Klein for the 2nd half! Haven't played Carmina Burana for absolutely ages so decided it needed an airing after the trashing it got from SK.
    So suddenly it becomes a must listen - I really like the work but I guess it is like marmite around here!

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Blame Suzy Klein for the 2nd half! Haven't played Carmina Burana for absolutely ages so decided it needed an airing after the trashing it got from SK.
      SK doesn't know a good work when she hears one! it's such fun!!

Last night's most excellent broadcast of Verdi's Othello. Indeed, most excellent.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

‘The French Collection’ - Piotr Beczala
        Opera arias by Massenet, Berlioz, Verdi, Boieldieu, Donizetti, Gounod, Bizet
        Piotr Beczala (tenor)
        Diana Damrau (soprano) (Manon duet)
        Orchestre de l’Opéra National de Lyon/Alain Altinoglu
        Recorded 2014, Auditorium Maurice-Ravel, Lyon,
        Deutsche Grammophon

Schubert
        Piano Trio No. 2 in E flat major, Op. 100, D929
        Violin Sonata (Sonatina) in A minor, Op. 137/2, D385
        Beethoven-Trio
        Recorded 1971/72 Lukaskirche, Dresden
        Eterna Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          The Handley Fourth could hardly be more different from Sir Malcolm's own recording.

A work that has long fascinated me, feel like giving it a spin
          I don't know the Handley recording but have both Arnold (clocking in at 54’11”) and Penny (37’47”); I don't think it's anything to do with observing repeats.
          Interestingly, perhaps, though the others in the Naxos set say 'Recorded in the presence of the composer', this one does not. Surely there wasn't a difference of opinion about the speed, and Arnold didn't show up? More likely that the timing (as in date of the recording) didn't suit, I would hope.
          Now, which version to put on first?!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            I don't know the Handley recording but have both Arnold (clocking in at 54’11”) and Penny (37’47”); I don't think it's anything to do with observing repeats.
            Interestingly, perhaps, though the others in the Naxos set say 'Recorded in the presence of the composer', this one does not. Surely there wasn't a difference of opinion about the speed, and Arnold didn't show up? More likely that the timing (as in date of the recording) didn't suit, I would hope.
            Now, which version to put on first?!
            Assuming they are playing the same notes then it's certainly one heck of a difference in speeds.
            Last edited by Stanfordian; 22-10-17, 15:51.

Comment

Handley's total time is 37' 26". (He is slightly quicker than Penny in the first two movements, and very slightly slower in the last two.) Details of all three recordings:

Arnold: 18' 48"; 5' 40"; 18' 40"; 11' 03"
              Handley: 12' 38"; 4' 57"; 11' 46"; 8' 05"
              Penny: 13' 00"; 5' 01"; 11' 36"; 7' 59"
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

... and:

Hickox: 13' 59"; 4' 57"; 13' 06"; 8' 33"

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Handley's total time is 37' 26". (He is slightly quicker than Penny in the first two movements, and very slightly slower in the last two.) Details of all three recordings:

Arnold: 18' 48"; 5' 40"; 18' 40"; 11' 03"
                  Handley: 12' 38"; 4' 57"; 11' 46"; 8' 05"
                  Penny: 13' 00"; 5' 01"; 11' 36"; 7' 59"
                  I only have, and know, the Handley but that is a big difference especially in the first movement between Arnold himself and Handley. Can anyone with access to both offer an explanation?
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

... AND and:

Malcolm Arnold: Symphony No 4, Op 71. [Malcolm Arnold-BBC Symphony Orchestra-Nov 2,1960-premiere].

... a recording of the first performance conducted by the composer, and taking a total of 36' 40".

Comment

Arnold takes the Sarabande from Solitaire inordinately slowly too: 5’47” with Bournemouth in 1980 (EMI) and 5’39” with the LPO in 1979 (Lyrita).
                      Thomson, with the Philharmonia, on Chandos in 1990, takes 3’09”!!

The Polka is a little more consistent: respectively 2’55”, 2’48”, and 2’22”.

Comment

Arnold: Symphony 4

First, Arnold conducting the LPO.
                        Second, Penny conducting the National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland.

I prefer Arnold's own interpretation here.
                        Somehow, the slower speed brings out (for me) some inner tension in the work (Arnold's own?), which makes it a more involving and interesting piece.

Comment

Puccini
                          Preludio di sinfonico, Op.1
                          Messe di Gloria
                          Roberto Alagna, Thomas Hampson
                          London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
                          Antonio Pappano.
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            Arnold: Symphony 4

First, Arnold conducting the LPO.
                            Second, Penny conducting the National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland.

I prefer Arnold's own interpretation here.
                            Somehow, the slower speed brings out (for me) some inner tension in the work (Arnold's own?), which makes it a more involving and interesting piece.
                            I wonder if a possible explanation for Mr Arnold taking the work markedly slower than the other conductors mentioned, could be that he is feeling the music, rather than (and I know this is going to appear crudely said, not my intention) paying too much attention to what it sounds like..... I'd better go.

That said, I am a somewhat latent Arnold admirer - very much enjoying the Naxos Penny set. On successive listens, I find myself increasingly plunged into the murky depths of the music - or more precisely that's how I feel it. All splendid stuff!

Comment

Rachmaninov. Piano concerto no. 3.

Valentina Lisitsa, piano.

The London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Michael Francis.

Very swift tempi. Fine performances, imho.

Comment

Mozart. String Quintet in g minor.

Mr. Jascha Heifetz, violin

Israel Baker, violin

William Primrose, Viola 1

Virginia Majewski, Viola 2

Gregor Piatagorsky, 'cello

Recorded August 29th & 30th 1961

A rather swift performance but extremely fine playing as one would expect from such a distinguished group of players.

Comment

Working...
                                X