This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    Was he any relation to York Holler, who studied, I think, at IRCAM under Boulez, and wrote one or two attractive pieces?
    Their Wikipedia articles don’t indicate a connection, but it wouldn’t be surprising if they were distantly related.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      Was he any relation to York Höller, who studied, I think, at IRCAM under Boulez, and wrote one or two attractive pieces?
      I don't think so. Höller is not an uncommon surname, especially in southern Germany and Austria. York Höller did attend some classes given by Boulez at Darmstadt, but that was in the 1960s, before IRCAM existed. (His main composition teacher was Bernd Alois Zimmermann.) He was one of the early composers to be invited to work at IRCAM on electronic music in the 1970s.

Comment

Enjoying the afternoon concert, Rachmaninov symphony no 3
        Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

Yes, the BBC Philharmonic always play this well. I remember a fine performance with Gianandrea Noseda. What a glorious work it is, and maybe the last symphony to have a marked first-movement exposition repeat (post-Webern!)

Comment

Jonathan Tetelman – ‘The Great Puccini’
            Arias from Manon Lescaut, Turandot, La rondine, La Bohème, Tosca,
            Madama Butterfly, La Fanciulla del West, Il tabarro, Le villi
            Jonathan Tetelman (tenor)
            PKF – Prague Philharmonia/Carlo Rizzi
            Recorded 2023, Prague, Czech Republic
            Deutsche Grammophon, CD

Comment

Is there a “What Opera Are You Listening To Now?” topic? I don’t see one in the A Night at the Opera sub-forum, but maybe I am missing it.

If the topic does not exist, would it be permissible to create it?

Also, what is the best topic for discussing Radio 3 in general?
              Last edited by PatrickMurtha; 03-11-23, 15:16.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickMurtha View Post
                Is there a “What Opera Are You Listening To Now?” topic? I don’t see one in the A Night at the Opera sub-forum, but maybe I am missing it.

If the topic does not exist, would it be permissible to create it?

Also, what is the best topic for discussing Radio 3 in general?
                It would be permissible to create it. For one thing, it would stop discussions/potential discussions getting submerged in this mammoth thread, and there is precedent for it in that there are threads devoted to what early music and electronic music people are listening to (I say this with no real 'authority' over what threads people can and can't create )

I am not sure if there is a thread devoted to general Radio 3 chat - it usually occurs in one of the threads like The Eternal Morning debate or somesuch... So by all means feel free to start one...

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

It would be permissible to create it. For one thing, it would stop discussions/potential discussions getting submerged in this mammoth thread, and there is precedent for it in that there are threads devoted to what early music and electronic music people are listening to (I say this with no real 'authority' over what threads people can and can't create )

I am not sure if there is a thread devoted to general Radio 3 chat - it usually occurs in one of the threads like The Eternal Morning debate or somesuch... So by all means feel free to start one...
                  Thanks! I will go ahead then.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickMurtha View Post

Thanks! I will go ahead then.

Comment

From that all-too-brief recent 'golden age' of Rattle and the LSO programming English music to full houses at the Barbican:
                      Holst, Egdon Heath
                      Mark Anthony-Turnage Dispelling the Fears (double trumpet concerto)

(off-air recordings)

Comment

Now playing: Haydn baryton trios played by Guido Balestracci, Alessandro Tampieri and Bruno Cocset (on Ricercar). I'm fond of the octets with baryton, but the unfeasible number of trios (126!) is a bit offputting. However, Balestracci et al have assembled a very attractive selection of these dark-hued pieces that makes one want to explore further.

Comment

Some people will like this (I think I do): Terry Riley, In C played on an ensemble of traditional Irish instruments by Zoë Conway, Dónal Lunny, Paddy Glackin, Máirtín O’Connor, Mick O’Brien, Louise Mulcahy and Michelle Mulcahy. Really, what's not to like?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                            Now playing: Haydn baryton trios played by Guido Balestracci, Alessandro Tampieri and Bruno Cocset (on Ricercar). I'm fond of the octets with baryton, but the unfeasible number of trios (126!) is a bit offputting. However, Balestracci et al have assembled a very attractive selection of these dark-hued pieces that makes one want to explore further.
                            I’ll have a go at those. Might make good listening on a blustery ferry journey tomorrow.
                            meanwhile, Tippett Symphony #3
                            BBCSO/ Leppard.
                            Don’t really know this. Plenty of work for Josephine Barstow, who seems to be making a good job of it.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                              Some people will like this (I think I do): Terry Riley, In C played on an ensemble of traditional Irish instruments by Zoë Conway, Dónal Lunny, Paddy Glackin, Máirtín O’Connor, Mick O’Brien, Louise Mulcahy and Michelle Mulcahy. Really, what's not to like?

https://louthcontemporarymusicsociet...ley-in-c-irish
                              Yep, I think I may well enjoy that after a brief listen to the start. Thanks for the steer.

currently listening to a favourite album by a favourite rock band, All Fall Down, by The Sound.
                              Even Terry Riley in the Irish Sea will have to wait for them to finish……..
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I hope you will grow to love Tippett's third, teamsaint. I was thrilled with it from hearing the first chords at the first performance and am still thrilled with it over fifty years later. I think it is one of the masterpieces of the second half of the 20th century. At a time when many composers seemed to be shy of straightforward composing, Tippett gave us a full scale symphonic allegro first movement and a full-scale slow movement . If you can, hear Heather Harper in the Philips recording. For me, that's the way to do it (answered!!??).

Comment

Working...
                                X