• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liszt
    Hungarian Rhapsodies (complete)
    Roberto Szidon, Piano

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      A bit disappointed today. I went to a much promoted event at my local Hi-Fi shop this morning. Armed with some well known cds, I trotted off only to find that the system, which was pretty amazing, didn't have a CD player attached. So, we were relying on downloads which seemed to be limited to what the companies demonstrators had on their tablet!

Under 'classical', we were treated to Late Brahms piano music played on the harp, The 'Romance' from DSCH's 'Gadfly' played on the flute and Rimsky's 'Capriccio Espagnol' played on the piano! I really wish I'd stayed in bed with 'Record Review'!

I'm not sure why the company couldn't just hook up to the internet so those of us who aren't addicted to easy listening jazz that seems to be the norm when demonstrating high quality Hi-Fi equipment.
      Hiya pastoralguy,

"Late Brahms piano music played on the harp, The 'Romance' from DSCH's 'Gadfly' played on the flute." Crikey!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        Hiya pastoralguy,

"Late Brahms piano music played on the harp, The 'Romance' from DSCH's 'Gadfly' played on the flute." Crikey!
        Mrs. PG got some live Annie Lennox which was some compensation but it simply reinforces my theory that 'classical music' isn't taught in schools so it's an alien concept to so many people today.

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
          Liszt
          Roberto Szidon, Piano
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Haha Beefy!

I will make amends to the aforesaid thread, Beefy!

Comment

Liszt
              Roberto Szidon, Piano
              Any thoughts on this set? It's been on my list to listen to for ages but I've not got around to it yet!
              Best regards,
              Jonathan

Comment

Asrael.
                Suk.

Malaysian PO/Flor.

On the new headphones, it is truly awesome, even on free spotty.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                  Any thoughts on this set? It's been on my list to listen to for ages but I've not got around to it yet!
                  Well, it's the only set I know. That said, it is highly spirited; clearly the set is 'in his blood' - and the clarity of the recording is stunning. Another thing - the piano 'sound' itself is stunning - quite velvetty and not at all 'plinky' on the high notes - as some pianos seem to be. I wish CD covers would state as a matter of course, the actual instrument(s) used in solo or duo and trio recordings. Very occasionally they do.

I would certainly recommend the set - bearing in mind I have no benchmark. It certainly 'does it' for me.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Asrael.
                    Suk.

Malaysian PO/Flor.

On the new headphones, it is truly awesome, even on free spotty.
                    I played the 1983 Czech PO/Neumann recording the other night and was again blown away by it. The first movement climax is tremendous in this performance and Neumann keeps the momentum going throughout to thrilling effect. This recording was a game-changer for me, alerting me to a symphonic masterpiece of the first order. Why isn't it performed in our concert halls as often as it deserves?

Belohlavek and Mackerras also sit on my shelves but Neumann is the one who really does it for me in the Asrael.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Well, it's the only set I know. That said, it is highly spirited; clearly the set is 'in his blood' - and the clarity of the recording is stunning. Another thing - the piano 'sound' itself is stunning - quite velvetty and not at all 'plinky' on the high notes - as some pianos seem to be. I wish CD covers would state as a matter of course, the actual instrument(s) used in solo or duo and trio recordings. Very occasionally they do.

I would certainly recommend the set - bearing in mind I have no benchmark. It certainly 'does it' for me.
                      I agree with all Visualnickmos says. France EMI Classics has 15 Hungarian Rhapsodies with Georges Cziffra which are also excellent. Michele Campanella recorded the complete Rhapsodies, but I found them rather pedestrian and middle of the road.
                      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        I played the 1983 Czech PO/Neumann recording the other night and was again blown away by it. The first movement climax is tremendous in this performance and Neumann keeps the momentum going throughout to thrilling effect. This recording was a game-changer for me, alerting me to a symphonic masterpiece of the first order. Why isn't it performed in our concert halls as often as it deserves?

Belohlavek and Mackerras also sit on my shelves but Neumann is the one who really does it for me in the Asrael.
                        Beats me.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Mrs. PG got some live Annie Lennox which was some compensation but it simply reinforces my theory that 'classical music' isn't taught in schools so it's an alien concept to so many people today.
                          Several of the Recorded Music Societies that I attend now frequently play lighter music the sort of fare that might have played on Radio 2, 40 years ago. I agree people don't seen to have the patience or maybe the inclination to sit through programmes of serious music anymore.

Comment

My memory of Audio fairs in the 60s was state of the art equipment playing Mehta's Also Sprach and Martinon's Ibert and Saint-Saens.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              Following on

Sir Michael Tippett
                              Symphony No.1 (1944-45)
                              Symphony No.2 (1956-57)
                              BBC Scottish SO, Martyn Brabbins.
                              Will be playing Symphony No.2, as I didn't have time to finish yesterday. Then:-
                              Vaughan Williams
                              Piano Concerto in C
                              Frederick Delius
                              Piano Concerto in C minor
                              Gerald Finzi
                              Eclogue.
                              Piers lane(piano), London PO, Vernon Handley

First up though this was strongly recommended to me:-

Mahler
                              Symphony No.5
                              Junge Deutsche Philharmonie, Rudolf Barshai

So far, absolutely stunning!
                              Last edited by BBMmk2; 11-02-18, 12:22.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Finzi
                                Cello Concerto
                                Eclogue for piano and orchestra
                                Grand Fantasia and Fugue for piano and orchestra
                                Tim Hugh (cello)
                                Peter Donohoe (piano)
                                Northern Sinfonia/Howard Griffiths
                                Recorded 2001, Jubilee Theatre, Gosforth, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
                                Naxos

Bridge
                                ‘Songs and Chamber Music’
                                Phantasie Piano Quartet, H94
                                Phantasie Piano Trio, H79
                                Scherzo, for cello & piano
                                Souvenir, for violin & piano
                                8 Songs with piano
                                3 Songs with viola
                                Ivan Ludlow (baritone)
                                London Bridge Ensemble:
                                Daniel Tong (piano), Benjamin Nabarro (violin), Kate Gould (cello), Tom Dunn (viola)
                                Recorded 2007, Wathen Hall, St. Paul’s School, London
                                Dutton Epoch – a glorious English chamber music and art-song release

Comment

Working...
                                X