This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Pleased to report that the missing booklet arrived this morning. Am highly impressed with the speedy response from Supraphon
    I wrote to Chandos to ask for a replacement booklet about a month ago. Still waiting for a response.

Bearing in mind I possess 100's of Chandos CDs, I think that's pretty shoddy.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      I wrote to Chandos to ask for a replacement booklet about a month ago. Still waiting for a response.

Bearing in mind I possess 100's of Chandos CDs, I think that's pretty shoddy.
      At least with Chandos you can usually download the booklet in pdf form free of charge, even if you do not buy the recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        At least with Chandos you can usually download the booklet in pdf form free of charge, even if you do not buy the recording.
        I agree but a response would have been welcome.

Comment

Richard Strauss: Die Frau ohne Schatten (Salzburg/Solti) Act 2.
          Three hysterical women behaving badly.
          One more Act to go.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

I agree but a response would have been welcome.
            Indeed it would. Too many companies in this country still don't seem to understand the concept of customer service thinking it ends once the cash register stops pinging. Based on our joint experiences, which record company will you and I look on with most favour? I've not bought that many Supraphon discs over the years but I will be remembering my experience of their excellent customer service when playing or coming across their recordings. That level of service is something that will stay with me, as a customer, for many years. We have this sort of thing dinned into us at work so apologies for going on a bit!
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Indeed it would. Too many companies in this country still don't seem to understand the concept of customer service thinking it ends once the cash register stops pinging. Based on our joint experiences, which record company will you and I look on with most favour? I've not bought that many Supraphon discs over the years but I will be remembering my experience of their excellent customer service when playing or coming across their recordings. That level of service is something that will stay with me, as a customer, for many years. We have this sort of thing dinned into us at work so apologies for going on a bit!

I once bought a Hyperion cd from a charity shop minus its booklet. I emailed them and asked if I could purchase it. They emailed me back and asked for my address. The following morning, the booklet arrived, free of charge!

I try to buy Hyperion CDs whenever possible.

Comment

Khachaturian

Symphony No 2

Russian Philharmonic Orchestra
                Dimitri Yablonsky

Comment

Beethoven. Symphony no. 6 in F. 'The Pastoral'

This is another charity shop find.

Die Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Wilhelm Furtwängler. Recorded in Berlin, March 19th 1944.

It's amazing that the Orchestra could play so well under what must have been very difficult conditions. Its very hard to listen to this performance knowing the fate that must have awaited a large number of audience members as well as Furtwängler himself.

This version is a 'GRAMOFONO 2000' release that employs the CEDAR process. The liner notes are very vague with details. The sound quality isn't bad considering its age and the circumstances under which it was recorded.

According to a quick Google search, Germany troops were occupying Hungary on that date.
                  Last edited by pastoralguy; 08-07-17, 16:54. Reason: More information.

Comment

Beethoven. Symphony no. 6 in F. 'The Pastoral'

This is another charity shop find.

Die Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Wilhelm Furtwängler. Recorded in Berlin, March 19th 1944.

It's amazing that the Orchestra could play so well under what must have been very difficult conditions. Its very hard to listen to this performance knowing the fate that must have awaited a large number of audience members as well as Furtwängler himself.

This version is a 'GRAMOFONO 2000' release that employs the CEDAR process. The liner notes are very vague with details. The sound quality isn't bad considering its age and the circumstances under which it was recorded.

According to a quick Google search, Germany troops were occupying Hungary on that date.
                    As a keen student of the Second World War, I'm always interested in cross-referencing dates of recordings with events happening at the same time. The Great Escape from Stalag Luft III took place 5 days after that recording (March 24).

Incidentally, the Old Philharmonie in Berlin had been destroyed by bombs on the night of January 29/30 1944 so the recording you have was probably given in the Berlin Staatsoper.

For an interesting (and eye-opening) read about the BPO in the Third Reich try this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Rei...ds=misha+aster

Comment

As a keen student of the Second World War, I'm always interested in cross-referencing dates of recordings with events happening at the same time. The Great Escape from Stalag Luft III took place 5 days after that recording (March 24).

Incidentally, the Old Philharmonie in Berlin had been destroyed by bombs on the night of January 29/30 1944 so the recording you have was probably given in the Berlin Staatsoper.

For an interesting (and eye-opening) read about the BPO in the Third Reich try this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Rei...ds=misha+aster
                      Many thanks, Pet. I'll check that out. My wife is a German scholar so it'll be interesting for both of us. I feel a thread coming on about cross referencing dates...

Comment

Another charity shop cd. (3 CDs for a pound in a shop near the Scottish Borders!)

Tchaikovsky. Overtures and Fantasies.

Antonio Pappano conducting the Orchestra dell' Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia.

EMI.

Pretty impressive!

Comment

Boris Tishchenko: Concerto for Flute, Piano and Strings
                          Valentin Zverev (flute), Alexei Nasedkin (piano)
                          USSR State Orchestra
                          Edward Serov

[interval]

Shostakovich: Symphony No 11
                          Prague Symphony Orchestra
                          Maxim Shostakovich

Comment

Busoni: Concerto for Piano in C major K247 Op.39

Garrick Ohlsson, BBC Symphony Chorus, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Sakari Oramo (Barbican, 12 December 2014).

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Busoni: Concerto for Piano in C major K247 Op.39

Garrick Ohlsson, BBC Symphony Chorus, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Sakari Oramo (Barbican, 12 December 2014).
                              I'm confused here Bryn?
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                                I'm confused here Bryn?

"a hymn to immoderation".

I also have Ohlsson's Cleveland recording on CD but fancied this live performence, replete with unstifled coughing from an inconsiderate audience member, this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X