X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    Martinu: Symphonies (all six of them)

ORF Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra/Cornelius Meister

Binge-listening (well, start with the 1st and then you get sucked in) at a loud volume. By no means perfect, this is still, for me, the most satisfying of the various symphony cycles I have to hand.
    Yes, 1&2 aren't quite "there" are they? WIPs, but still full of interpretative interest .... 3-6 marvellous, some of the very best on record....

Oh God don't get me started on Martinu again.... one of my all-time musical icons.... I must have all or most of the complete cycles and many single-issues....

But I would recommend Meister for a first-time choice now...
    Belohlavek twice failed to complete Czech Phil cycles...long story.....the BBCSO/Barbican one is of course integral, but I never shared the almost universal enthusiasm for it, intermittently fine though it is in some ways (not for sound, colour or rhythm....)....

Anyway long story and the footie's hotting up now....

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      DJ-are you sure that the Label is DG, and not ECM New Series?
      Yes, absolutely positive.
      https://www.qobuz.com/ie-en/album/we.../dde5m7tmryfda

Comment

Beethove SQ Op 130. Alexander String Quartet . Their first recording.
        I’m enjoying this a lot.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Beethove SQ Op 130. Alexander String Quartet . Their first recording.
          I’m enjoying this a lot.
          Have you listened to the Casals Quartet's Beethoven concert on TtN recently? Very fine playing, I thought.

Comment

Mozart
            Clarinet Quintet, K. 581
            String Quintet, K. 516
            Amadeus Quartet,
            Gervase de Peyer (clarinet)
            Cecil Abramowitz (2nd viola)
            No recording details
            Deutsche Grammophon
            A favourite chamber music CD in my collection. Gervase de Peyer’s playing is quite sublime.

‘Bryn Terfel - Bad Boys’
            Opera arias from Boito, Puccini, Donizetti, Verdi, von Weber, Gershwin, Weill, Sullivan, Sondheim, C.M. Schonberg, Ponchielli, Rossini, Beethoven, Gounod, Mozart

Bryn Terfel (bass-baritone)
            Swedish Radio Choir and Symphony Orchestra / Paul Daniel
            with Balcarras Crafoord, baritone (Spoletta, Tosca)
            Anne Sophie von Otter, mezzo-soprano (Mrs Lovett, Sweeney Todd)
            Recorded 2009 Stockholm
            Deutsche Grammophon

Comment

That Bryn Terfel album looks interesting!

Just had Radio 3 on yesterday. Wasn’t feeling up to much listening.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                That Bryn Terfel album looks interesting!

Just had Radio 3 on yesterday. Wasn’t feeling up to much listening.
                Yes, 'Bad Boys' is one of Bryn's most enjoyable albums. His albums 'Something Wonderful' and 'The Vagabond' are top drawer too. I've seen 'Bad Boys' on amazon for 99p.
                Last edited by Stanfordian; 28-11-19, 11:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  Yes, 'Bad Boys' is one of Bryn's most enjoyable albums. His albums 'Something Wonderful' and 'The Vagabond' are top drawer too. I've seen 'Bad Boys' on amazon for 99p.
                  His Vagabond album is a gem - very interesting - he takes a few liberties but really adds expression - I compared some of his interpretations of Butterworth’s ‘Shropshire Lad’ songs with a very much more strait-laced versions by John Shirley-Quirk from which I got to know them from the old Saga LP - BT much more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Have you listened to the Casals Quartet's Beethoven concert on TtN recently? Very fine playing, I thought.
                    They seem to be doing a series of concerts. Good suggestion, will try to catch up later.

Currently: Haydn symphony #39, Adam Fischer.

Might have to seek out another recording to add to the enjoyment.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      They seem to be doing a series of concerts. Good suggestion, will try to catch up later.

Currently: Haydn symphony #39, Adam Fischer.

Might have to seek out another recording to add to the enjoyment.
                      If you want a truly tempestuous Tempesta and an inflamed impassioned Passione, this one really burns up the bars....
                      Listen to Giovanni Antonini in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from %price%/month

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        If you want a truly tempestuous Tempesta and an inflamed impassioned Passione, this one really burns up the bars....
                        https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/ha.../3760014196706
                        Just downloaded, let’s see how it scrubs up on Apple Music.

Thanks.

Comment

A sunny morning (!) and did some clearing up of half-dead plants and leftover bits and pieces in the garden. On the headphones I listened with great pleasure to Mitsuko Shirai's Robert Franz recital on Capriccio, with her husband Hartmut Höll accompanying. Lovely mezzo tone which reminds me a bit Brigitte Fassbaender.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            His Vagabond album is a gem - very interesting - he takes a few liberties but really adds expression - I compared some of his interpretations of Butterworth’s ‘Shropshire Lad’ songs with a very much more strait-laced versions by John Shirley-Quirk from which I got to know them from the old Saga LP - BT much more interesting.
                            Couldn't agree more and he has the advantage of Malcolm Martineau at the piano. Some of the songs are almost definitive in the sense that I have difficulty forgetting how Bryn did them when I hear other singers eg the opening phrasing of VW's Youth and Love from The Songs of Travel and unequalled for beauty of line by any other singer that I've heard:
                            Songs of travel (1901-04):I. The vagabond 00:00II. Let beauty awake 03:14III. The roadside fire 05:14IV. Youth and love 07:38V. In dreams 11:21VI. The infini...

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                              Couldn't agree more and he has the advantage of Malcolm Martineau at the piano. Some of the songs are almost definitive in the sense that I have difficulty forgetting how Bryn did them when I hear other singers eg the opening phrasing of VW's Youth and Love from The Songs of Travel and unequalled for beauty of line by any other singer that I've heard:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEyf3a98Dhc
                              There is also the excellent ‘follow-up’ album ‘Silent Noon’ - the beautiful title track and a again Martineau on piano - I never cease to marvel at the quality and ability of accompanists, both on record and personal experience in solos and choirs locally. Most are very modest about their role and their training and background means it is something they just ‘get on and do’ but seeing and hearing them often leaves me in awe of their talent!

Comment

I am not at all sure how I managed to miss this recording when it was released but seeing a copy among the CDs for sale at Cafe OTO on Tuesday night, I used one of my 60 accumulated credits to download the FLAC of it today:

A decade after the performance I am at least catching up with the recording which features:

John Butcher / tenor and soprano saxophones

Ute Kanngiesser / cello

John Tilbury / piano

Christian Wolff / piano, bass guitar and melodica

Edwin (Eddie) Prévost / percussion

---

Recorded at the 'Freedom of the City' festival, Conway Hall, London on Sunday the 3rd of May, 2009

Comment

Working...
                                X