Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had been without access to a computer for the last few days, and when I eventually got onto the boards last night, 'In memoriam Jiri' appeared, I could not believe what I was suppose to be reading, given his youthful age. First of all, he was one of the greatest interpreter of the music of German and Eastern European music of his generation, his tenure at the helm of the BBC Symphony Orchestra was outstanding (naturally, I was there for the 3 Last Nights he gave), and he was the most modest of men. I was indeed fortunate to attend a drinky do after a Proms concert at the RAH (which might have been Brahms 2 & the Martinu Frescoes della Francesca, or it might not), in the Arena bar as a sort of "Meet our new conductor" thingy. I chatted to him for a bit and even got his autograph (which I don't tend to do, as I don't want to seem to be a little stage door Jonny).

But it is his recordings (particularly the Chandos stuff) that I will cherish the most and I seem to have quite a few in my record collection: so everything is put aside for this Martinu morning.

MARTINU: Symphony No 1 (1942) H.289
    Concerto for Double Strings Orchestra, Piano and Timpani (1938) (H.271)
    SUK: Asrael Symphony Op 27

Czech Philharmonic Orchestra

(leader: Bohumil Kotmel)

conductor Jiri Belohlavek

RIP Jiri

(that should have Suk as composer rather than Martinu, but you know what I mean...)
    Last edited by Colonel Danby; 19-06-17, 11:44.

Comment

Just found this tribute to JB from Music Matters: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08skymg (1st segment; has reminiscences from Jakub Hrusa and Jan Smaczny)

The full 2015 Music Matters, where Tom Service interviews JB, from which the audio clip came is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05wyjr2

Comment

I know I've been out of things rather the last few months, but I only discovered this a couple of days ago when I visited the Radio 3 website

Far too young, and yes, underappreciated, I think

Comment

Working...
        X