Sir Jeffrey Tate (1943-2017) RIP

Sir Jeffrey Tate (1943-2017)

RIP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p054rlgk

Sir Jeffrey Tate 1943-2017

RIP Sir Jeffrey Tate
    Very sad news indeed.

Comment

Was Sir Jeffrey any relation to the composer, Phyllis Tate, anybody know?
      Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 02-06-17, 19:05.

Comment

Oh dear. That's very sad news indeed. I always enjoyed his Mozart recordings.RIP, maestro.

Comment

Sad news. I don't recall mentioning him on here, but I do have some of his recordings and I think I have seen him in concert.

Another sad loss RIP

Comment

Sad to see another go. Memorable for his recordings of Mozart Symphonies and the PCs with Uchida and also his British music, not lease the Elgar Symphonies, also the Songs of the Auvergne with Kiri. RIP Jeffrey.

Comment

RIP Sir Jeffrey Tate

Sad news, he had a heart attack in Italy. I particularly treasure his EMI recording of Elgar's Second - one of the most powerful ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by akiralx View Post
                Sad news, he had a heart attack in Italy. I particularly treasure his EMI recording of Elgar's Second - one of the most powerful ever made.
                Very sad news an excellent conductor I recall a lovely Mozart and Strauss concert with the ECO at Sheffiekd City Hall in 1988 when they made both the 38th and the Jupiter really sing with a lovely account of the Strauss Oboe Concerto with the late Neil Black .

He was due to conduct with the RAI Vilde Frang in the Elgar Concerto this month .

One of my favourite recordings of his was Hansel and Gretel.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  One of my favourite recordings of his was Hansel and Gretel.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Was the ECO ever the same following his departure?

Comment

No I don't think so .

Comment

Sad to see this news also. His work with Mitsuko Uchida in Mozart piano concerto recordings is well worth hearing.

I may have seen him once in concert, but he wasn't a regular.

RIP

Comment

It seems he was due to conduct the concert with Vilde Frang next Thursday I think he conducted in Italy quite a bit .

Comment

Very sad to hear this news. Another one taken from us.
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Record Review re-broadcast an interview with him in this morning's broadcast. I missed the first time. Very engaging and interesting. For example working with Callas when she was bunkered in her Paris appartment about 18 months before she died. And his start in the music world as a repetiteur, which he said taught him from the start about singers - in opera - but also phrasing in all music. Working with Boulez on the Bayreuth Ring, and Karajan.

(Reminds me of an insight evening with Mark Elder at The Royal Op House - he started out the same, and had some interesting observations on the role of the repetitur. He related that he'd thought he could sneak to the back of the auditorium to hear Sylvia Fisher as Isolde at the last performance of the run - only to find that his absence almost derailed her performance - as he said, the lesson was that some singers relied absolutely on their repetitur being present, others could cope without. (And that Gobbi would only perform at short notice if he could bring his own repetitur...).

Comment

Working...
                              X