No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Music Day, 14 June 2017 - Music Legends Honoured With Blue Plaques

Some unexpectedly worthy winners on this list:

Those recognised include David Bowie, broadcaster John Peel, the Grimethorpe Colliery Band and Delia Derbyshire, who composed the Dr Who theme tune

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    Some unexpectedly worthy winners on this list:

http://www.musicweek.com/media/read/...sic-day/068790
    A usual mix of the good, the bad and the... Depeding on your point of view and musical taste. It would be interesting to know who the selectors were.

Comment

Why do so many people mistakenly think Delia Derbyshire COMPOSED the Dr Who theme tune ?
      (Not that there's much wrong with what she did with it ..... )

Nice to see Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan there

But no Trevor Wishart

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        Why do so many people mistakenly think Delia Derbyshire COMPOSED the Dr Who theme tune ?

Nice to see Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan there

But no Trevor Wishart
        Nor Richard Steinitz
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I think Buddy Holly was a musical great, but not really sure of the point of the BBC Wiltshire choice, really.
          A theatre he played, that is already well known? is that really the best they can do?
          oh well.....

Kevin Coyne is a more interesting choice, for example.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            The only other piece I've heard broadcast by Tristram Cary was a suite from music he composed for "The Ladykillers". I have a cassette from a home-recorded reel-to-reel broadcast from 1967 of him being interviewed by Rawsthorne. It includes an excerpt from his setting of Mervyn Peake's poem "The Rhyme of the Flying Bomb" - a work of astonishing power. Cary deserves a programme of his own: I don't recall any recognition when he died 3 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              The only other piece I've heard broadcast by Tristram Cary was a suite from music he composed for "The Ladykillers". I have a cassette from a home-recorded reel-to-reel broadcast from 1967 of him being interviewed by Rawsthorne. It includes an excerpt from his setting of Mervyn Peake's poem "The Rhyme of the Flying Bomb" - a work of astonishing power. Cary deserves a programme of his own: I don't recall any recognition when he died 3 years ago.
              This is worth having IMV

He certainly does deserve more exposure

As does the much missed Edward Williams

Comment

Working...
              X