X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andy2112 View Post
    Therefore I will probably be looking at the more sonically impressive recordings
    If "sonically impressive recordings" is important please listen to the Album Samples of the Bernard Robert recordings. I find the Nimbus sound is an acquired taste. it is for that reason that I find Shura Cherkassky's recordings made at Wyastone Leys difficult to listen to. But maybe that's just me.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

I often find that pianists have a problem with Nimbus recordings of their instrument. Perhaps it is partly down to their accustomed proximity to the keyboard end of of the beast? I usually hear piano performances from within the audience and to me the Nimbus piano sound is very natural.

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        I often find that pianists have a problem with Nimbus recordings of their instrument. Perhaps it is partly down to their accustomed proximity to the keyboard end of of the beast? I usually hear piano performances from within the audience and to me the Nimbus piano sound is very natural.
        Interesting point, Bryn. Hadn't thought about that - but glad to hear it's not a universal problem, just mine.
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Has anyone mentioned the Brautigan set on BIS? I don't usually embrace fortepiano recordings but these are brilliantly recorded and thrillingly played, with the limitations of the instrument helping to enhance the revolutionary, limit testing Beethoven.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... o, the 'limitations' of the piano of the period are as nothing compared to the limitations of a full-strength modern Steinway trying to negotiate the writing of someone living 1770-1827.

Comment

• Conchis
              Banned
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

HUGELY expensive on Amazon!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                HUGELY expensive on Amazon!
                It was roughly that price in Budapest 3 years ago.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                  ... [ Annie Fischer Beethoven ] ... HUGELY expensive on Amazon!
                  ... well, £8-15 per CD?

Back in the day we were paying, what, £13 - £15 for a CD? - without blenching overmuch....

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... well, £8-15 per CD?

Back in the day we were paying, what, £13 - £15 for a CD? - without blenching overmuch.....
                    Indeed - these youngsters don't know they are born!

Comment

• Karafan
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      Can't agree late Brendel is boring his last Op 109-111 for example are marvellous.
                      Do you prefer his analogue or digital offerings, Barbs?
                      K.
                      "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Karafan
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                        Was Annie Fischer's Hungaraton set complete? I remember buying it for a friend when we were in Budapest due to the release date being different.
                        It is - and what a superb, revelatory cycle that is!
                        K.
                        "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                          Do you prefer his analogue or digital offerings, Barbs?
                          K.
                          I have the full analogue set Coupled with his Haitink conducted versions of the concertos . There is much I love in that set especially Les Adieux the Moonlight, Pathetique and Appassionata ( which I owned on one of my first LPs and prefer to the digital remakes) .

I do not own the whole of the later set but in Op 109-111 I do prefer the later recordings. To my ears there is an extraordinary simplicity and spirituality about them .

Comment

Working...
                          X