• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Malcolm Arnold

His reputation has risen from the doldrums it once occupied but he is still not taken seriously as a composer.

Why?

Too many film scores, perhaps?

I enjoy his anguished 6th symphony, dedicated to his children, who suffered so much because of him....
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
    His reputation has risen from the doldrums it once occupied but he is still not taken seriously as a composer.

Why?

I enjoy his anguished 6th symphony, dedicated to his children, who suffered so much because of him....
    On recordings at least he seems to have been taken seriously. Over here the most likely stuff to get programmed are his various dance suites. RVW hardly shows up on programs here either. So I think most non Brits don't take U.K. Composers to seriously.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

I think it's the Seventh Symphony that's the "portraits" of his children?

He's taken seriously enough for his Symphonies to be available in three different complete sets of recordings (and several individual issues) and for there to be an annual Festival devoted to his Music. I enjoy a lot of it tremendously - but if I were given the opportunity to conduct a professional orchestra, there would be too many other works I'd want to devote the time and effort to. I suspect that this might be the case with many real Musicians - it's not necessarily the case that they don't take him "seriously"; it's just that there are other priorities more immediate/urgent for them.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        I think it's the Seventh Symphony that's the "portraits" of his children?

He's taken seriously enough for his Symphonies to be available in three different complete sets of recordings (and several individual issues) and for there to be an annual Festival devoted to his Music. I enjoy a lot of it tremendously - but if I were given the opportunity to conduct a professional orchestra, there would be too many other works I'd want to devote the time and effort to. I suspect that this might be the case with many real Musicians - it's not necessarily the case that they don't take him "seriously"; it's just that there are other priorities more immediate/urgent for them.
        What is not to like about Malcolm Arnold? His symphonies are really good serious stuff, his shorter peces have humour, drama and melody. I love his Dances, particularly the Cornish, Scottish and English. Padstow is fun and of the overtures, Tam O'Shanter and Peterloo and wonderfully descriptive...and I've got say I also like his flirtation with rock music with Deep Purple - you could say he preempted Rick Stein embracing both Rock and Padstow.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          What is not to like about Malcolm Arnold? His symphonies are really good serious stuff, his shorter peces have humour, drama and melody. I love his Dances, particularly the Cornish, Scottish and English. Padstow is fun and of the overtures, Tam O'Shanter and Peterloo and wonderfully descriptive...and I've got say I also like his flirtation with rock music with Deep Purple - you could say he preempted Rick Stein embracing both Rock and Padstow.
          Hiya cloughie,

I greatly enjoy Arnold's music. During an interview I had with Sir Mark Elder at his home I tried to encourage him to programme Arnold's music with the Halle but in effect he said that it wasn't for him, it did nothing for him. Sad really! Arnold maybe needs a new champion or two!

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Being a trumpet player, his understanding of the brass was exceptional. Notably his brass quintet, Symphony for brass ensemble & percussion, and not forgetting his Fantasy for brass band.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Being a trumpet player, his understanding of the brass was exceptional. Notably his brass quintet, Symphony for brass ensemble & percussion, and not forgetting his Fantasy for brass band.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post

Why?

Nowt wrong with the film scores. The St. Trinian films (the genuine ones, especially The Belles ... ) not the more recent pale imitations) would be nothing like as good without his magnificent contributions.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Nowt wrong with the film scores. The St. Trinian films (the genuine ones, especially The Belles ... ) not the more recent pale imitations) would be nothing like as good without his magnificent contributions.
                  Hiya Bryn,

Arnold's score to 'Whistle Down the Wind' especially the main theme I find captivating.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                    Arnold's score to 'Whistle Down the Wind' especially the main theme I find captivating.
                    - Richard Attenborough supplying the whistling, IIRC.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Malcolm Arnold is a composer who doesn't figure largely on my listening schedule very often but when he does I find myself thinking why I don't listen to more of his music.

I remember that I'd often borrow a cd of, iirc, the sixth symphony from the public library. Alas, one day I was told it had been withdrawn. A few weeks later, I saw the cd on eBay so I put a bid in and won it. When it arrived it was the same disc I'd been listening to for years with the original date stamps!

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                        ... RVW hardly shows up on programs here either. So I think most non-Brits don't take U.K. Composers too seriously.
                        ... o, some of us Brits don't take UK Composers too seriously either. Apart from Dunstaple and Purcell. And Byrd, and Tallis, and Gibbons, and Dowland. And possibly Boyce and Arne.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... o, some of us Brits don't take UK Composers too seriously either. Apart from Dunstaple and Purcell. And Byrd, and Tallis, and Gibbons, and Dowland. And possibly Boyce and Arne.
                          That's right! Go on ... leave out Lawes, why don't you! (And, I'd add Lambe, Cornysh, Browne, and Power, for that matter.)

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            That's right! Go on ... leave out Lawes, why don't you! (And, I'd add Lambe, Cornysh, Browne, and Power, for that matter.)
                            ... both Laweseseses, I hope.

And aren't you forgetting someone?

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... both Laweseseses, I hope.

And aren't you forgetting someone?

What's wrong with Holborne. Bull and Johnson? To say nothing of Taverner (no not that one)!

Comment

Working...
                              X