X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
    Plenty of trumpets and trombones for me, ideally accompanied by horns, tubas and percussion. A huge symphony orchestra is my ideal. The louder the sound the better as far as I'm concerned.
    Have you ever tried Bruckner? I think you might like his stuff.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I bought the 2 CD set (very cheaply) of Pizzetti Piano Music.
      Dave, have you tried Pizzetti's Requiem Mass? It's on Hyperion from Westminster Cathedral Choir. Rather against the spirit of this thread, I love it...most unusual for its time, and I guess for Pizzetti.

Maybe even P.G. Tipps might like it? Even with the incomprehensible words of the Roman Rite?

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        Or maybe Mahler 1 or 5.

2,3,4 and 8 filtered out because of the vocal elements.

Walton 1, or Shostakovich 1, 4,5 and 10 perhaps.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
            • Nov 2010

I think in some cases our lives, upbringing, local landscape etc does have a certain impact on the music/composers we like/dislike. I'm pretty sure of the reasons why I dislike a particular work or composer, as the reasons always seem to be due to the a small select group of dislikes namely; induces a sense of claustrophobia, meanders around aimlessly, doesn't know when to shut up, poorly written.
            I've always tried to listen openly. I try to put totally out of my mind whether a work/composer is widely considered good/great, mediocre, derivative, not worth reviving etc when listening to it. I often find myself rating underrated composers/works very highly and vice versa, at other times I seem to agree with the critical consensus.

Comment

Working...
            X