X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

The pioneers of minimalism - BBC4 21:00 today

In this episode Charles Hazlewood tracks down the pioneers of minimalism, which began on America's west coast in the 1950s. Describing them as 'prophets without honour', Charles explores La Monte Young's groundbreaking experiments with musical form that included notes held for exceptionally long periods of time, and drones inspired by Eastern classical music and Hindustani singer Pandit Pran Nath. . .

BBC4 - 02/03/2018 - 21:00-22:00
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

At last
    We might be going to get the long overdue La Monte Young all night Proms gig ?

(but probably not )

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Thanks MrGG - I spotted this earlier. Shame it clashes with Requiem (BBC1) - call me a romantic; will have to catch up on their iplayer equivalent.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

I thought we were rid of Charles Hazlewood - a combination of him and minimalism a total turn off for me.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          I thought we were rid of Charles Hazlewood - a combination of him and minimalism a total turn off for me.
          I attended the recording of a programme he made about 'Minimalism' at the QEH. It included a pretty dire performance of Terry Riley's In C in which he had intended to play an electronic keyboard instrument. However , when it came to it there appeared to be no power supply to it. "Oh dear. How sad. Never mind." I did very much like his programmes on sonme Beethoven works during the period of the Beethoven Experience, however. That on the 4th piano concerto was particularly good, with Ronald Brautigam playing the fortepiano.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

I was a bit taken aback to hear Hazlewood assert that in a performance of In C, no player should be more than 3 phrases adrift on any other. That, as far as I am aware, was not an instruction associate with the original composition. This, https://www.musicinst.org/sites/defa...0Beginners.pdf is a later set of guidelines, and even here the adjuration is to try and keep within 2 or 3 phrases. When he heard the Shanghai Film Orchestra's recorded performance in which the conductor reintroduced phrases from earlier in the score, rather than dismissing it, Riley simply saw it as an alternative approach to the work.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Great to have a programme about this which focussed on Young and Riley for once
              Now about one about the whole English Minimalism thing?

Always good to hear Terry and La Monte

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

Always good to hear Terry and La Monte
                Until Michael Nyman stuck hi oar in, we tended to refer to that aspect of the English experimental music tradition as "process music". As, IIRC, did Reich in relation to his early experimental works.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                  • Nov 2010

Loved it.
                  Steve

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    When he heard the Shanghai Film Orchestra's recorded performance in which the conductor reintroduced phrases from earlier in the score, rather than dismissing it, Riley simply saw it as an alternative approach to the work.
                    I reviewed that CD for The Wire back in the day. Its "microtonal" aspects are an eyebrow-raiser too.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      I know far less about the latter than I should admit. Do you think Eno should be included? Do we stop at Ambient?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Until Michael Nyman stuck hi oar in, we tended to refer to that aspect of the English experimental music tradition as "process music". As, IIRC, did Reich in relation to his early experimental works.
                        Some people preferred "systems music", if my memory serves me.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Some people preferred "systems music", if my memory serves me.
                          Indeed
                          But there is plenty to discover

Christopher Hobbs / John Adams / Gavin Bryars ‎- Ensemble Pieces (1975 - Obscure)

Extracts from live performance of Against Oblivion Part 2 by Regular Music II. Music by Jeremy Peyton Jones, words by David Gale. Tête á Tête Opera Festival,...

etc etc

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

I watched this programme with a totally open mind...even about Charles H.
                            I was left with the impression that, rather as in some 20th century fine art, the concept is more important than the result.

(Ducks for cover.)

But I eagerly await the next instalment...and, yes, about time BBCTV stuck some art music into its schedule.
                            Last edited by ardcarp; 03-03-18, 01:04.

Comment

• muzzer
                              • Nov 2013

Loved it. Best thing on Beeb 4 for ages. For me, just the right amount of detail. Looking forward to next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X