No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Typo perhaps?
    Indeed - 'Not being musically trained' or - if you prefer - 'being musically untrained'.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      I'm not much into chamber music but I've been listening to the Bartok String Quartet No 1 with the Takacs Quartet courtesy of youTube. It somehow seemed to fit a late Friday afternoon in October and I enjoyed it. Will try the rest as time allows. Never knowingly heard any of them before!
      Wow I’m shocked Pet

But then I’ve no room to talk,I’m not at all into Sibelius,Nielsen or Verdi.
      “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        A friend at University bought me the Glagolitic Mass for my 21st. I've never looked back. Find the last two movements, if you can, on YouTube....

The piano suite On an Overgrown Path I is utterly beguiling.

I'm going to see WNO in The Cunning Little Vixen on 28 November in Southampton.
        Janacek is the most wonderful composer and few bring the natural world so to life as he does. On an Overgrown Path is a lovely work, like going on a country walk with a dear friend. Whenever I hear The Cunning Little Vixen I feel that it has to be my favourite 20th century opera. Incidentally, I wonder if anyone has read Leaves from his Life. I lost my copy years ago but as I recall it is full of Janacek's affectionate and heart-warming nature writing and sketches that he produced for a local newspaper.

Comment

My introduction to the music of Janacek was via the Concertino and the surviving movements of the Piano Sonata 1 X 1905 "From the Street". It was coupled with the Bartok Sonata for 2 Pianos and Percussion on a Supraphon LP that I chanced upon in a now long gone music shop in Eton. I purchased the disc for the Bartok and the Janacek was love at first hearing. I went back the next day to order the Ancerl recording of the {what I know to be the revised, simplified version) of the Glagolitic Mass. I have yet to hear a work by Janacek I did not take to on first hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            A friend at University bought me the Glagolitic Mass for my 21st. I've never looked back. Find the last two movements, if you can, on YouTube....

The piano suite On an Overgrown Path I is utterly beguiling.

I'm going to see WNO in The Cunning Little Vixen on 28 November in Southampton.
            Saw it this week - beautifully sung and a lovely production...

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              My introduction to the music of Janacek was via the Concertino and the surviving movements of the Piano Sonata 1 X 1905 "From the Street". It was coupled with the Bartok Sonata for 2 Pianos and Percussion on a Supraphon LP that I chanced upon in a now long gone music shop in Eton. I purchased the disc for the Bartok and the Janacek was love at first hearing. I went back the next day to order the Ancerl recording of the {what I know to be the revised, simplified version) of the Glagolitic Mass. I have yet to hear a work by Janacek I did not take to on first hearing.
              I've mentioned this before. My introduction to Janacek was a BBC broadcast of "From the Diary of a Young Man Who Disappeared", probably somewhere around 1962 or 3 in an English transation. My young hormone-driven psyche was utterly shattered by the story line and the music; it works on so many levels, and having just now played it again I have to admit still induces tears.

Comment

Nothing subtle for me - just blown away at a young age by the Sinfonietta, then Taras Bulba, the the Glag Mass and then loads of his other stuff - in recent years I’ve just loved singing the MVC ‘True Love’ - lovely harmonies in the B1 and T2 parts!

Comment

Working...
                X