• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone try to Sleep last night?

There's a long history of sleep concerts

and so on

Comment

For the first time in quite a while I didn't need to be sampling the TTN offering - how ironic! I did hear the last half hour though - didn't realise what it was so a certain amount of puzzlement until Sunday Breakfast kicked off.

Sound of Gaming did pass through my mind...

Comment

I had R3 on all night - drifting in and out of sleep. Enjoyed those parts that I heard.

I have tried to find if there was a previous thread on Max Richter's Sleep, but there doesn't seem to be one.

I've been a fan of his since hearing Vivaldi's Seasons Reimagined live and then being given the CD.

Comment

It didn't work for me. I guess I don't like to be told the music will send me to sleep - I'll make my own mind up , thank you. But I find Night Tracks with SMP is the perfect sleeping potion.

In the end, I resorted to camomile tea to send me off.

Comment

Sleep continuity and depth depends on how much Valerian I take..... (cumulative, or additive, with aclohol levels for the previous day).....

If (as so often) I'm back down at 0600/0700, I usually find something which chases away the nervous energies - Honegger or Schumann Symphonies, say - do a better job of encouraging a more soporific brain upon my return to the duvet(s)...(layers/togs according to season/temp...)...

With the Green & Blacks Hot Chocolate of course... (added brandy optional, though it does encourage a nice frothing head...)
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 12-04-20, 13:52.

Comment

A lot of new music does send me to sleep, the Lawrence Dunn piece on the NMS last night would have done if I hadn’t been trying to stay awake to listen to this. ‘Sleep’. The title sounds like an imperative. Sleep! And who are you? Well, OK, but why should I? I wasn’t surprised to learn that Richter consulted with David Eagleman, a north American neuroscientist, over writing this piece. The result is pleasant enough but didn’t work for me, I’m afraid
              Last edited by Constantbee; 12-04-20, 16:24. Reason: Spelling
              And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

...Yes.... the problem with supposed-sonic-soporifics (Waves on beaches, subliminal best-of-Palestrina, Music for Airports etc...) is - precisely - that you know that they are supposed to relax you; so you never stop thinking about the sleep you can't find...

The reasons for insomnia being so various, there's probably no magic solution (apart from more drink or drugs than is healthy (let alone "sensible"...knock yourself out, etc...) but one thing that can work is music (lively, dramatic) or reading (challenging, idea-rich) or activity (not too vigorous) that focusses your mind away from sleep itself... may be best to get out of bed for a while to try this though.......

OTOH, cuddling a beloved animal, furry or humanoid, can do the trick (as long as you don't both get too hot...)....

Comment

I didn't find the Richter as captivating (???) as Einaudi.
                  I'm starting the Eliane Radigue - Trilogie De La Mort, you can tell straight away it is much more serious and interesting.

Am I the only person who finds reading in bed a guarantee of not being able to sleep? Or the sound of a burbling stream as anything but relaxing (but then I was a hydrologist)?

Since I've had to give up all caffeine (and that includes decaff, most tea, and all chocolate) I can get to sleep very easily, but still wake up at 4-5am.
                  Last edited by Beresford; 12-04-20, 18:07. Reason: caffeine

Comment

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
                    I didn't find the Richter as captivating (???) as Einaudi.
                    I'm starting the Eliane Radigue - Trilogie De La Mort, you can tell straight away it is much more serious and interesting.

Am I the only person who finds reading in bed a guarantee of not being able to sleep? Or the sound of a burbling stream as anything but relaxing (but then I was a hydrologist)?

Since I've had to give up all caffeine (and that includes decaff, most tea, and all chocolate) I can get to sleep very easily, but still wake up at 4-5am.
                    Reading in bed used to be helpful, unless I was silly about the choice of book, but over the past couple of years I've realised that it is definitely unhelpful. If I need to reset after computer or TV too close to bedtime I read something suitable downstairs, having got everything shutdown and ready and then go straight to bed as soon as drowsiness appears. Noises that are supposed to be relaxing have never worked for me - recordings used at some yoga classes used to irritate the hell out of me - rather counter-productive!

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      ...Yes.... the problem with supposed-sonic-soporifics (Waves on beaches, subliminal best-of-Palestrina, Music for Airports etc...) is - precisely - that you know that they are supposed to relax you; so you never stop thinking about the sleep you can't find...

The reasons for insomnia being so various, there's probably no magic solution (apart from more drink or drugs than is healthy (let alone "sensible"...knock yourself out, etc...) but one thing that can work is music (lively, dramatic) or reading (challenging, idea-rich) or activity (not too vigorous) that focusses your mind away from sleep itself... may be best to get out of bed for a while to try this though.......

OTOH, cuddling a beloved animal, furry or humanoid, can do the trick (as long as you don't both get too hot...)....
                      How about puzzles - cryptic crosswords, SuDokus etc? I can't claim any deep experience of insomnia but I do find racking my brains in bed once a puzzle has got 'stuck' will often make the eyelids droop. (And often the puzzle proves much easier next morning!)
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        Ah yes - the old zen conundrum of the medecine not working if you think about a pink elephant when taking it...

I listened to parts of this at various points during the night, and it sounded sub-Eno in style to me, ie boring enough to send me back to sleep, thereby achieving its aim.

Comment

Just in case anyone overlooked the reference to Max Richter's work Sleep in the thread title - here is the link to the TTN offering - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b06db5tv

There's more about Sleep here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_(album)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            Just in case anyone overlooked the reference to Max Richter's work Sleep in the thread title - here is the link to the TTN offering - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b06db5tv

There's more about Sleep here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_(album)

https://www.maxrichtermusic.com/
                            I only caught a few snatches during the broadcast but was sufficiently unimpressed to not feel drawn back to it. None of the posts here, to date, has encouraged me to review my lack of desire to listen further.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              I only caught a few snatches during the broadcast but was sufficiently unimpressed to not feel drawn back to it. None of the posts here, to date, has encouraged me to review my lack of desire to listen further.
                              I listened to around 16 minutes, then gave up and went back to bed. I was not thrilled - though perhaps that’s the idea. I went to sleep without hearing any more.

Comment

Working...
                              X