Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oxford Orchestra da Camera

While recently browsing through my 1999 Penguin CD guide, I came across this Bartok release:

Bartok - Divertimento, Music for Strings, Percussion & Celesta, Sonata for 2 Pianos & Percussion
    Oxford Orchestra da Camera, Paul Sacher & Fry, Holland, Berman, Lemin.
    Oxford OOCD-CD2

This 2xCD set is a recording of a 1995 concert which commemorated the 50th anniversary of
    Bartok's death. The recording includes the commentaries that Sacher made before each piece.
    I recall making a note of this set as one for another day just after I bought the Penguin guide.
    Sadly that day never came.

I have searched the internet and found more or less nothing on this set - and very little on the
    Oxford Orchestra da Camera itself. The Penguin guide gives a postal address for the orchestra
    but, despite writing, I have had no response. I have discovered that the orchestra packed up in
    about 2003.

I would be interested to know if anyone has any recollection of this orchestra and, more
    specifically, did anyone take a punt on the Bartok CD ? It does seem a shame that what was
    probably a very good orchestra has practically disappeared without trace.

World Cat gives an entry for this. Worth following up?::

....Paul Sacher conductor - his Foundation in Switzerland - mebbee they have a spare copy......
    Last edited by Quarky; 18-04-20, 02:04.

Comment

Working...
    X