Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    try keeping still when this goes on.....
    Yep, the foot tapped. Your link was followed by an excellent performance with Elton John at Live Aid, when he had just turned 22. What confidence and presence.

Then there was this at a Queen Mercury tribute

How about a spot of Ian Drury?

I love the lyrics in What a Waste
    Last edited by Flay; 24-04-20, 09:34. Reason: Additional link
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Edgy 2;789970]I’d love to know if there are any other Barry White fans on here,absolutely love this,not even sure I really feel that guilty about it

Looks like you are on your own there, ER, though I would have thought that Stanfordian might be a fan ? He's a soul boy !!

Trying to figure out where the guilt lies in some of the suggestions above, but there you go.

I occasionally feel a twinge of guilt about preferring a cover to the original ( though often of course they are improvements), and , though I love Robert Palmer, he really can't compare to the Fab Four.
      But for my money, this version knocks spots off theirs......

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Robert Palmer? Did someone say Robert Palmer....?!

O...M....G...One of my all-time most adored......I loved it for months in 1986...... any room became the dance floor when this came on..
        (the women in the band said they felt empowered by it....not stereotyped as the simplistic reading might suggest.....think sci-fi.... think androids...think Delores in Westworld....switch guitars for guns....

REMASTERED IN HD!Music video by Robert Palmer performing Addicted To Love. (C) 1985 The Island Def Jam Music Group#RobertPalmer #AddictedToLove #Remastered

....I still have two of those lycra dresses upstairs .....
        (As you get older they double usefully as tunics over jeans....)

Pop in the mid-80s was a Theatre of Gender... this came out just a year later......
        "Kiss" from 'Parade' (1986)☔️ Listen to more Prince here https://lnk.to/PrinceStream📺 Watch all the official Prince videos here http://bit.ly/PrinceVideogra...

Wendy's expression at about 1'15 is just priceless....
        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 24-04-20, 13:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
          I’d love to know if there are any other Barry White fans on here,absolutely love this,not even sure I really feel that guilty about it

I don't feel guilty about not being a Barry White fan, but there's no need for you to feel guilty because you are!

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Robert Palmer? Did someone say Robert Palmer....?!

O...M....G...One of my all-time most adored......I loved it for months in 1986...... any room became the dance floor when this came on..
            (the women in the band said they felt empowered by it....not stereotyped as the simplistic reading might suggest.....think sci-fi.... think androids...think Delores in Westworld....switch guitars for guns....

REMASTERED IN HD!Music video by Robert Palmer performing Addicted To Love. (C) 1985 The Island Def Jam Music Group#RobertPalmer #AddictedToLove #Remastered

....I still have two of those lycra dresses upstairs somewhere.....
            (As you get older they double usefully as tunics over jeans....)

Pop in the mid-80s was a Theatre of Gender... this came out just a year later......
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9tEvfIsDyo
            Thing is with Robert Palmer, he had a knack of seeming to get away with it. Somehow reflecting the moment,or the moment just gone, and never feeling as though he was just cashing in. I think real love of what he was doing, wanting to use what had happened to inform and improve his music was.....In His System.And always,and this is the critical thing, with real style.
            Despite the gender politics rows, ( and who am I to judge ?) I ‘d forgive him almost anything.
            I suppose another thing to love about him was that he beuatifully combined the role of performer of other peoples songs and writing and performing his own music.

He shared a birthday with Mrs TS, about which I am a tad envious. But then I have Poulenc........

Here’s a guilty pleasure ( not many of my mates with long grey overcoats in 1980 would have been into this....)from before my time. Also beloved of my best mates OH

Actually, I’m not sure somebody that young should be singing this stuff.
            Hands up anybody who HASN’T found themselves standing next to Peter Noone at a Man Utd match !!
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              I don't feel guilty about not being a Barry White fan, but there's no need for you to feel guilty because you are!
              Nowt wrong with Barry White ,edge. This whole concept of guilt is strange and only valid if you really care about what other people think. About Four years ago I heard Oh Lori by the Alessi Brothers on the radio and thought how good it sounded - could almost have been the Beach Boys - so checking on Amazon how I could get it on CD - I bought for just over £2 inc p&p - what a great compilation - what a stupid title!

Thiis a proper guilty pleasure - just had 10 pasties delivered!

Handmade, traditional Cornish Pasties, frozen or cooked, delivered to your door ready for you to enjoy the day they arrive or pop in the freezer to enjoy later.
              Last edited by cloughie; 24-04-20, 14:49.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Not forgetting

The original 7" version off the "Four Sore Points" EP from 1980. For some reason the "Punk Singles Collection" CD uses the LP version instead of the 7" version.

Comment

Nowt wrong with Barry White ,edge. This whole concept of guilt is strange and only valid if you really care about what other people think. About Four years ago I heard Oh Lori by the Alessi Brothers on the radio and thought how good it sounded - could almost have been the Beach Boys - so checking on Amazon how I could get it on CD - I bought for just over £2 inc p&p - what a great compilation - what a stupid title!

https://www.annspasties.co.uk/

I’ve taken a punt on that cd cloughie,some cracking tracks there,and some belters on this follow up 2 disc set too https://www.discogs.com/Various-Guil...elease/3338689
                  “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Not so much a guilty pleasure, as a private one.

Actually, that didn't come out quite right.........

Anyway, great songs to sing along to in the car, in this case the backing vocals, don't come much better than this:

Comment

I’ve taken a punt on that cd cloughie,some cracking tracks there,and some belters on this follow up 2 disc set too https://www.discogs.com/Various-Guil...elease/3338689
                      I agree about the concept of “guilty pleasures”, interesting that as a society we can apply it very efficiently to pop culture but not to other things that have a far worse effect on things overall.

As to the belters on those compilations I very much associate them with commercial radio in the 70s, specifically Capital in London, perma-tuned in to the sunniest parts of the US to escape dreary Blighty’s 3 day weeks and recessions, while Radio 1 was still stuck with glam, until it pivoted awkwardly like a punk dancing badly towards new wave etc with Peel. Parallel universes.

Today could see a few of those guilty pleasures revisited. Thanks so much for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                        I agree about the concept of “guilty pleasures”, interesting that as a society we can apply it very efficiently to pop culture but not to other things that have a far worse effect on things overall.

As to the belters on those compilations I very much associate them with commercial radio in the 70s, specifically Capital in London, perma-tuned in to the sunniest parts of the US to escape dreary Blighty’s 3 day weeks and recessions, while Radio 1 was still stuck with glam, until it pivoted awkwardly like a punk dancing badly towards new wave etc with Peel. Parallel universes.

Today could see a few of those guilty pleasures revisited. Thanks so much for posting.
                        Many of those records were R1 daytime staples, weren’t they ?
                        I’m not sure in what way R1 pivoted towards punk , other than with John Peel, whose time slot made him strictly niche, if agenda setting.

Comment

Yes, another good set but it is a strange definition of guilty pleasures that includes Manfred Mann's Earthband, Gerry Rafferty and ELO!

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Many of those records were R1 daytime staples, weren’t they ?
                            I’m not sure in what way R1 pivoted towards punk , other than with John Peel, whose time slot made him strictly niche, if agenda setting.
                            ts, I thought I'd let you know that I replied to your pm to be informed your pm box is full!

Comment

ts, I thought I'd let you know that I replied to your pm to be informed your pm box is full!
                              Ta. I’ll sort it out.
                              Edit: done !!

Comment

Working...
                              X