No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britten War Requiem film, live RAH 1964

Haven’t seen this mentioned here...

On iPlayer is a broadcast from 1964 of the War Requiem, with Britten sharing the conducting with Meredith Davies...

A performance of Benjamin Britten's War Requiem from the Royal Albert Hall. (1964)

Complete with Richard Baker’s presentation (and hushed explanations between movements...)

Fascinating, can’t believe I’ve never seen it before...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Haven’t seen this mentioned here...

On iPlayer is a broadcast from 1964 of the War Requiem, with Britten sharing the conducting with Meredith Davies...

A performance of Benjamin Britten's War Requiem from the Royal Albert Hall. (1964)

Complete with Richard Baker’s presentation (and hushed explanations between movements...)

Fascinating, can’t believe I’ve never seen it before...
    Historically interesting though the 1964 performance of the War Requiem which you mention is (and I've watched it twice), for me it lacks the sheer emotional intensity and sense of occasion of the Nelsons/CBSO DVD recorded in Coventry Cathedral. The interaction between the male soloists is positively heartbreaking at times, especially in 'Strange Meeting', and the prolonged silence at the end speaks volumes for the effect on the audience and, I suspect, the conductor and performers.
    Not that it matters, but I did flag up the 1964 performance quite a while ago! It has, to my certain knowledge, been is 'available for over a year' for at least the last 2 years. There's also a very enjoyable folk-song recital with Britten and Pears, also from 1964, in the same section of the BBC4 iPlayer Arts archive (search for 'Celebrity Recital'). The archive is well worth investigating as a whole.
    Last edited by LMcD; 19-05-20, 07:35.

Comment

This is from the Decca recording, isn’t it, which is a classic, in itself. Completely agree that Nelsons has the grasp of this work, and the performance is very good indeed.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
        This is from the Decca recording, isn’t it,.
        No. It's a live performance given in the Royal Albert Hall on August 4 1964. The Decca recording was made in January 1963.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
        X