Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of a concerted effort to destroy

Could only see the headline of this but it's something many of us have voiced concern about isn't it, as there have already been problems with foreign artists coming here in recent years?
    I suppose football won't be affected as much given the obscene pay levels at the top, so the 'Culture' Minister won't need to exercise his limited mind.
    If Priti Vicious/Vacant/supply epithet is happy to exclude the likes of NHS staff and care workers from working here then there really isn't any hope for anything as inessential as performing arts is there?

Comment

Here's the text for those unable to access it

Musicians from outside the UK will need to apply for a visa and pay to perform in the country from 2021, the Home Office has confirmed.

READ MORE: “It’s going to be devastating” – here’s how Brexit will screw over British touring artists
      In a post-Brexit shake up of the current rules, EU and non-EU based creatives who wish to travel to the UK must prove they have nearly £1000 in savings in their account some 90 days before applying for the visa. The huge sum is considered to be proof that they can support themselves, unless they are already “fully approved (‘A-rated’)”.

In contrast, current rules allow artists and their crews to travel to the UK without restrictions and without applying for a work permit or visa.

Artists will need a Tier 5 visa to visit the UK for work – encompassing performances, auditions, workshops, festival appearances, talks and events. It is expected to cost £244 and will come into force in January 2021, following the end of the Brexit transition period in December 2020.

The details, listed in a policy paper from the Home Office, suggests it is unlikely there will be reciprocal arrangements between the UK and EU for entertainers in any Brexit deal.

Criticising the decision, Deborah Annetts, chief executive of the Incorporated Society of Musicians, told The New European: “We are deeply disappointed that free movement for musicians and other artists from the EU has been ruled out and we would ask the UK Government to reconsider our call for a two-year, multi-entry visa.

“As the former minister of state in the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Nigel Adams MP said last month, ‘Touring is absolutely the lifeblood of the industry’.”

She added: “This latest development will mean that artists visiting the UK from the EU for work will need to apply for visas, including Tier 5, or pursue a route for short-term business visitors such as the discredited Permitted Paid Engagement (PPE).”

A government spokesperson said: “Musicians and performers are a valued and important part of UK culture.
      “The UK attracts world class artists, entertainers and musicians and that’s not going to change under the new system.

“The rules already permit performers from around the world to take part in events, concerts and competitions without the need for formal sponsorship or a work visa and that will continue to be the case.”

It comes after a petition was set up by The Musicians’ Union which is “calling on Government and Parliament to back a Musicians’ Passport for musicians working in the EU post-Brexit.”
      some delicate folks don't like the language I would like to use about this

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        Here's the text for those unable to access it

some delicate folks don't like the language I would like to use about this
        The beginning and end information contradict each other as far as I can see, and given the default lie mode of the government I will choose to accept the version at the beginning.

Comment

What infuriates me, as always, is the typical computer generated ordure from 'a government spokesperson' which completely sidesteps the issue raised by the ISM and others.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            The beginning and end information contradict each other as far as I can see, and given the default lie mode of the government I will choose to accept the version at the beginning.
            I would agree with your judgement on this .

Comment

The Immigration Bill is beyond disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                The Immigration Bill is beyond disgusting.
                Absolutely.
                Staying on topic, I really do fear for the future; just one example, is that it could well be that last year's Proms, will turn out to have become the last Proms - EVER.

Comment

And so, visiting performers will be caught up in the same dragnet that will trap anyone not earning enough to deserve to live in this country, such as care workers - another nail in the coffin of this country's reputation as a beacon of culture and enlightened self-interest.

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                    Absolutely.
                    Staying on topic, I really do fear for the future; just one example, is that it could well be that last year's Proms, will turn out to have become the last Proms - EVER.
                    I was also wondering about international competitions such as Cardiff Singer of the World and Leeds Piano Competition, and smaller scale ones such as the York Early Music International Young Artists Competition.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      I was also wondering about international competitions such as Cardiff Singer of the World and Leeds Piano Competition, and smaller scale ones such as the York Early Music International Young Artists Competition.
                      I think the "big" events will be able to absorb this
                      BUT anything else ?

And how DID the things we love so much start in the first place ?
                      Didn't Britten & Pears invite their mates to Aldeburgh ?
                      didn't Richard Steinitz invite his to Huddersfield ?

For many of us (and with what is likely to be the reciprocal response) this is a $%^&$%g disaster

Comment

I think the "big" events will be able to absorb this
                        BUT anything else ?

And how DID the things we love so much start in the first place ?
                        Didn't Britten & Pears invite their mates to Aldeburgh ?
                        didn't Richard Steinitz invite his to Huddersfield ?

For many of us (and with what is likely to be the reciprocal response) this is a $%^&$%g disaster
                        A major problem as I see it(and I think we've already seen examples of this) for the individuals concerned is not just the expense and, in some cases major difficulties, getting required paperwork, but the fact that the last hurdle is the Home Office - not known for timely, intelligent, consistent, informed decisions.

Comment

FFS someone STOP THIS

Comment

I wish I could, but with the geniuses and cloth eared persons “running” things I fear I won’t be able to.

Comment

Working...
                            X