Syncopation ?

apparently
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

You couldn't make it up, could you?!...

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Didn't Scott Joplin take a more elitist view?
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

'The Devils Work'. Nice to know that haven't downed tools.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

I just KNEW something went fundamentally wrong when Ska was invented.....

Comment

• rauschwerk
            • Nov 2010

A colleague of mine was once informed in all seriousness that it's ok to listen to music as long as you don't move any part of your body in time with it. And that reminds me of this:

"Dancing is for the most part attended with many amorous smiles, wanton compliments, unchaste kisses, scurrilous songs and sonnets, effeminate music, lust-provoking attire, ridiculous love pranks, all of which savour only of sensuality, of raging fleshly lusts. Therefore it is wholly to be abandoned of all good Christians. Dancing serves no necessary use, no profitable, laudable or pious end at all. It is used only from the inbred pravity, vanity, wantoness, incontinency, pride, profaneness or madness of men's depraved natures. Therefore it must needs be unlawful unto Christians. The way to Heaven is too steep, too narrow for men to dance in and keep revel rout. No way is large or smooth enough for capering roisters, for jumping, skipping, dancing dames but that broad, beaten, pleasant road that leads to Hell. The gate of Heaven is too narrow for whole rounds, whole troupes of dancers to march in together." (William Prynne, 1632)

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

I'm quite interested in prohibitions against music
              It seems when one digs a bit it's not the "sonic art" that is the problem
              but the effects that some music has on people

I've had some very interesting conversations with folks about what constitutes "forbidden" music

not forgetting that change ringing sounds like music to me but some will insist that it's something else

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

So that's Mozart down the plughole.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                  A colleague of mine was once informed in all seriousness that it's ok to listen to music as long as you don't move any part of your body in time with it.
                  So the end of the road for conductors, then?...

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    Not at all. Surely, conductors move in advance of the music, even if only marginally?

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                      A colleague of mine was once informed in all seriousness that it's ok to listen to music as long as you don't move any part of your body in time with it. And that reminds me of this:

"Dancing is for the most part attended with many amorous smiles, wanton compliments, unchaste kisses, scurrilous songs and sonnets, effeminate music, lust-provoking attire, ridiculous love pranks, all of which savour only of sensuality, of raging fleshly lusts. Therefore it is wholly to be abandoned of all good Christians. Dancing serves no necessary use, no profitable, laudable or pious end at all. It is used only from the inbred pravity, vanity, wantoness, incontinency, pride, profaneness or madness of men's depraved natures. Therefore it must needs be unlawful unto Christians. The way to Heaven is too steep, too narrow for men to dance in and keep revel rout. No way is large or smooth enough for capering roisters, for jumping, skipping, dancing dames but that broad, beaten, pleasant road that leads to Hell. The gate of Heaven is too narrow for whole rounds, whole troupes of dancers to march in together." (William Prynne, 1632)
                      'Pravity' - a word that might come in handy, I'll make a note of it.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                        We've had driver-only buses for years.

Comment

Working...
                        X