X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Short pieces?

What's the shortest length of any significant/meaningful music? Of course there is a piece by Chopin which is often called (mistakenly?) the minute waltz - which actually typically lasts a bit more than 2 minutes. Recently I posted a Youtube video of several composers who had produced new pieces - each around 1 minute in length, though one minute does seem rather short.

In Mikrokosmos Bartók wrote some pieces which last less than one minute in performance, and I think some individual dances in his Rumanian dances are pretty short.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Many of Ned Rorem's songs are short, 1–2 minutes.
    Here's a selection:
    American Classics - Ned Rorem: Selected Songs. Naxos: 8559084. Buy CD or download online. Carole Farley (soprano), Ned Rorem (piano)

I guess that he'd consider them to be stand-alone pieces, since they are not part of any cycle.

The shortest on this disc, a Gertrude Stein setting, clocks in at just 21 seconds; there's a Whitman setting at 25 seconds too.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Das Donnerwetter K534 comes in at 48" on the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra version.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        In Mikrokosmos Bartók wrote some pieces which last less than one minute in performance, and I think some individual dances in his Rumanian dances are pretty short.
        Looked at Bartók Solo Piano Music with Zoltán Kocsis. On 8CDs there are many very short items. Shortest seems to be: No 9 of Fifteen Hungarian Peasant Songs at 13 seconds.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

I believe the shortest piece ever released on CD is in fact the shortest duration that will fit on a CD, 1 sample or 1/44100 seconds, which is the duration of a composition entitled "bop" by JLIAT (James Whitehead). You can listen to it here if you have a spare moment.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            I believe the shortest piece ever released on CD is in fact the shortest duration that will fit on a CD, 1 sample or 1/44100 seconds, which is the duration of a composition entitled "bop" by JLIAT (James Whitehead). You can listen to it here if you have a spare moment.
            Should have used Hi Res digital to get it at 1/384,000 seconds.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Troyte - Enigma Variations - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ4zGoSf7vY About 55 seconds

Is this the shortest of these variations? Not sure. Actually I think HDSP may be shorter. The shortest is probably WMB - which could be under 30 seconds. GRS is also under a minute.

See (for example) the back view of Petrenko's RLPO recording on a site such as am.uk.
              Last edited by Dave2002; 21-08-20, 07:30.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                • Nov 2010

Beethoven's Bagatelle Op 119/10 is over in just nine seconds.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                  Beethoven's Bagatelle Op 119/10 is over in just nine seconds.
                  Wow - that is short.

Not sure that this is the best representation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbc-bwYcBdU but it is short.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

Kurtag might just be the lad for brevity. Jatekok pieces are commonly under a minute: 23 out of the 28 tracks on one CD I own, Scherzo (III/9) winning at 15 seconds. Webern must also be in the running but I don't have time to check timings now: daughter II's 19th
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Here is one of the longer Kurtag pieces - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh8vskF1k5c Interesting!

Here are some more - the first is quite short - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ECfycXRo1A

Comment

• gradus
                        • Nov 2010

Schumann Im wunderschonen Monat Mai not much over a minute and a half - just one page of music.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                          Schumann Im wunderschonen Monat Mai not much over a minute and a half - just one page of music.
                          I think Die Rose, die Lilie, die Taube, die Sonne also from Dichterliebe is the shortest Schumann song at about 30 secs

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                            Good spot - http://ks.imslp.info/files/imglnks/u...2745-RS131.pdf

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                              Kurtag might just be the lad for brevity. Jatekok pieces are commonly under a minute: 23 out of the 28 tracks on one CD I own, Scherzo (III/9) winning at 15 seconds. Webern must also be in the running but I don't have time to check timings now: daughter II's 19th
                              Nothing as short as 15" in the Sony Boulez Complete Works box that I could spot.
                              Some songs or movements within cycles/works are very short (for example, the second in the Op 3 Five songs clocks in at 33"), but I'm not sure that they should count compared to stand-alone pieces.

Comment

Working...
                              X