Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    As I've not long posted on the What Classical Music are You Listening to thread, I don't know much (about) electronic music, and would like to know more. I mean, I've checked out some by Xenakis and Stockhausen, some Spectral music, obviously it features in a few other figures music I know, and have read a bit by Paul Griffiths (though not his book dedicated to this topic). Other than that - do people have any suggestions about whose music to check out in this realm? And is Griffith's book any good, is there another book which describes the kind of trajectory this music has taken over the years?
    This thread I'm finding very enlightening, and in the context of the original post, and the reference to the earlier post on another thread, I'm not finding any confusion whatsoever::

Milana Zaric and Richard Barrett's fantastic, magical album 'Mirage'. Words don't do justice to how spellbinding these pieces are. It's futuristic, alien music, at times quite haunting, often profound or sparkling and iridescent. Some sounds (for want of a more technical term) are indeed haunting and what I would describe as post-apocalyptic sci-fi sounds (the howling winds of the beginning of the title track, for example) which I'd compare to the title track of Miles Davis's Bitches Brew, which is similarly dark in its magic expressive affect. Listening to the piece 'suma' I was reminded of this painting of Ernst:

This music is full of exquisite detail, a delight for the ears. I don't remember hearing music where an electronic element was as crucial as it is here that is as successful as it is here; I pretty much only have Barrett's previous efforts to relate it to, however. I think I ought to start a thread on this topic.

Discussions about terminology appear to be manufacturing a problem.

Comment

This music is full of exquisite detail, a delight for the ears. I don't remember hearing music where an electronic element was as crucial as it is here that is as successful as it is here; I pretty much only have Barrett's previous efforts to relate it to, however. I think I ought to start a thread on this topic.
      Hmm in hindsight I seem to have inadvertently implied that there is bound to be some better electronic music elsewhere other than the one I was discussing - not my intention. Also I'd add that at least some of the pieces that comprise the duets of that album do a good job of somewhat blurring in some instances what can be identified as definitely being from either player - so that one perceives holistically.

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
      Discussions about terminology appear to be manufacturing a problem.
      Perhaps 'electroacoustic' would be better (I've also heard the term 'acousmatic') since I've never heard fans of forms of electronic dance music refer to that music in that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
        This thread I'm finding very enlightening, and in the context of the original post, and the reference to the earlier post on another thread, I'm not finding any confusion whatsoever::

Milana Zaric and Richard Barrett's fantastic, magical album 'Mirage'. Words don't do justice to how spellbinding these pieces are. It's futuristic, alien music, at times quite haunting, often profound or sparkling and iridescent. Some sounds (for want of a more technical term) are indeed haunting and what I would describe as post-apocalyptic sci-fi sounds (the howling winds of the beginning of the title track, for example) which I'd compare to the title track of Miles Davis's Bitches Brew, which is similarly dark in its magic expressive affect. Listening to the piece 'suma' I was reminded of this painting of Ernst:

https://soundcloud.com/r-barrett/ric...nes-i-iii-2019

One short section is a mxture of the Clangers and George Crumb's Ancient Voices of Children.

Comment

Comment

Thanks Joseph for your kind words, it's good to know the music (and its connection to Max Ernst!) is making such direct contact with people.

I should maybe point out that the soundtrack to the Youtube link is the same mix as on the album, although the sound quality on Bandcamp is better (and downloading the album gives you the original uncompressed 24/48 version). On Youtube here's also an earlier video concert we did at home featuring some of the same pieces, although the versions on the album are more developed and generally improved, apart from the binaural fixed media piece sphinx which of course doesn't change.

Comment

You have 48 minutes of your life allocated to you with the choice of 2 CDs in front of you - the above piece or R Struass Heldenleben ( chosen because of length of work). Which will you choose?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                You have 48 minutes of your life allocated to you with the choice of 2 CDs in front of you - the above piece or R Struass Heldenleben ( chosen because of length of work). Which will you choose?
                Neither, but is that not an option?

That is not to say that I'd never listen to either of those pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  Neither, but is that not an option?

That is not to say that I'd never listen to either of those pieces.
                  It's a very strange question - rather like asking if on prefers oranges to grapefruit, when one might equally like both! I prefer our Richard's instrumental and timbral imagination; but having dissed Strauss's coagulations here on the forum in the past, that will be clear; but I wonder what cloughers meant by it!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    but I wonder what cloughers meant by it!
                    I wondered too. For some reason, perhaps provoked by the graphics and colour scheme of the Zaric/Barrett video posted above, I took Cloughie's question to be an allusion to the film The Matrix - a red pill/blue pill scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      It's a very strange question - rather like asking if on prefers oranges to grapefruit, when one might equally like both! I prefer our Richard's instrumental and timbral imagination; but having dissed Strauss's coagulations here on the forum in the past, that will be clear; but I wonder what cloughers meant by it!
                      I find the metaphor questionable. Several contributors here are quite likely to be on statins. They don't mix well with grapefruit. Personal taste is not the only consideration. (Coat off hook.)

Comment

I wondered too. For some reason, perhaps provoked by the graphics and colour scheme of the Zaric/Barrett video posted above, I took Cloughie's question to be an allusion to the film The Matrix - a red pill/blue pill scenario.
                        No complex thought really - I just listen to some snatches of the electronic piece - it went on a bit, didn’t really light my candle - headache making stuff really - I know some people are not Heldenlebenophiles and for a piece that is the same length I just wondered what forum members preferences would be in spending 48 minutes of their precious time!

Comment

headache making stuff really
                          You got a headache from it? Imagine how I feel!!!

Moving right on... here's the 48-minute piece that I might have chosen, Bernard Parmegiani's De natura sonorum

INA-GRM ‎– AM 714.01 (France, 1978)https://www.discogs.com/Bernard-Parmegiani-De-Natura-Sonorum/release/320878Purchase: http://bit.ly/2DMA2cW00:00 A1. Incide...

- one of the great achievements of electronic music IMO, which I first heard on "Music in our time" in the mid-70s when it must have been very new.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                            You got a headache from it? Imagine how I feel!!!

Moving right on... here's the 48-minute piece that I might have chosen, Bernard Parmegiani's De natura sonorum

INA-GRM ‎– AM 714.01 (France, 1978)https://www.discogs.com/Bernard-Parmegiani-De-Natura-Sonorum/release/320878Purchase: http://bit.ly/2DMA2cW00:00 A1. Incide...

- one of the great achievements of electronic music IMO, which I first heard on "Music in our time" in the mid-70s when it must have been very new.
                            Brilliant piece of Music - new one on me!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                              I should maybe point out that the soundtrack to the Youtube link is the same mix as on the album, although the sound quality on Bandcamp is better (and downloading the album gives you the original uncompressed 24/48 version).
                              I was going to mention something about the sound quality - because, actually, I think the better sound quality of the download as compared to youtube played a crucial role in better appreciating the pieces.

I've now got RB's album 'strange lines and distances' on (another band camp download) specifically the piece 'eye-blink (1)' which again I can't recommend highly enough. Tomorrow I shall give the Parmegiani a listen.

Comment

Vaughan Williams London Symphony (revised version, including applause) - or John Cage's (in)famous 4'33'' 10 or 11 times.

Comment

Working...
                                X