• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fou Ts'ong (1934 - 2020)

The great Chinese pianist has died of Covid-19. RIP

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
    The great Chinese pianist has died of Covid-19. RIP
    So sorry to hear this. My introduction to Chopin on disc was a 33.333 RPM 7-inch Concert Hall vinyl, back in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Comment

Never saw him live.

Do they still have all the flyers for concerts on the ground floor of the RFH?

When I wandered down there there always seemed to be a forthcoming South Bank recital by this pianist. Dennis Lee was another.

Comment

Sad news - another one of those bright young things of the early 1960s gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          So sorry to hear this. My introduction to Chopin on disc was a 33.333 RPM 7-inch Concert Hall vinyl, back in the late 1950s or early 1960s.
          He spent four years in Poland as a student and performer before moving to London in 1958 and is there to great effect on the Narodowy Instutut Chopin Box (the one some of us got for a mistakenly knockdown price a few years ago). The Mazurkas come across especially vividly on the 1849 Erard he plays. This will get a spin today.

RIP

Comment

Sad indeed - and another casualty of this wretched disease.

China's first great pianist of western classical music was both a pioneer and revered mentor.

RIP

Comment

So sorry to hear this. My one acquaintance with the pianist was at the Colston Hall in Bristol in the late fifties. He gave a stirring performance of Beethoven’s 5th concerto which I remember to this day. The orchestra was probably the Bournemouth or the Birmingham SO but I can’t be definite about that after all this time.
              Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

I've only seen this now. RIP. I'll never forget a performance he gave at the National Concert Hall in Dublin of Mozart's Jeunehomme Concerto. He caressed the keys in a way I've never seen anyone else do. Mesmerising musicianship.

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                  I've only seen this now. RIP. I'll never forget a performance he gave at the National Concert Hall in Dublin of Mozart's Jeunehomme Concerto. He caressed the keys in a way I've never seen anyone else do. Mesmerising musicianship.
                  Never saw him live, but my introduction to the Mozart piano concertos was his 1968 recording of 9 and 12 with the Vienna Radio Orchestra / Brian Priestman. Just as you describe it Jimbo.

Comment

Working...
                  X