Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... no. It has the sloping shoulders of the double-bass, octobass &c - derived from their viol ancestry : whereas your violin, viola, and other violoncelli have shoulders at right-angles to the neck

Like the man in the orthotic insoles, I stand corrected
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

"Hector Berlioz insisted his giant orchestra should include 18 three-string double basses tuned in fifths, 15 more four-string double basses tuned in fourths and-for maximum effect-four of Vuillaume's octobasses."

You couldn't get more Berlioz than that. I love it...

Comment

... no. It has the sloping shoulders of the double-bass, octobass &c - derived from their viol ancestry : whereas your violin, viola, and other violoncelli have shoulders at right-angles to the neck

You beat me to it!
        This new one https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.co...tobass-feature confuses things somewhat though by having violin shoulders - and the 3 keys are arranged differently from the MSO version.

Comment

"Hector Berlioz insisted his giant orchestra should include 18 three-string double basses tuned in fifths, 15 more four-string double basses tuned in fourths and-for maximum effect-four of Vuillaume's octobasses."

You couldn't get more Berlioz than that. I love it...

One way of ensuring it never gave a concert?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
            This is a new one on me:

(This is the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, apparently)
            No- they are very small people who thought they'd come to audition for Gulliver's Travels.

Comment

What about the vis à vis piano? A keyboard at each end of the instrument, so that the players can see each other. Only two 18th century instruments exist - this 1777 Stein gets an airing on a fascinating disc by Andreas Staier and Christine Schornsheim. It has a three keyboard harpsichord at one end and a fortepiano at the other. I would have thought it ideal for recording the famous harpsichord/fortepiano concerto by CPE Bach.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                What about the vis à vis piano? A keyboard at each end of the instrument, so that the players can see each other. Only two 18th century instruments exist - this 1777 Stein gets an airing on a fascinating disc by Andreas Staier and Christine Schornsheim. It has a three keyboard harpsichord at one end and a fortepiano at the other. I would have thought it ideal for recording the famous harpsichord/fortepiano concerto by CPE Bach.
                Thanks, that one had escaped my attention. Unfortunately, the QOBUZ offering is without a booklet pdf but at least the back cover can be viewed on the Amazon site.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Thanks, that one had escaped my attention. Unfortunately, the QOBUZ offering is without a booklet pdf but at least the back cover can be viewed on the Amazon site.
                  If you would like, I could scan the booklet for you, Bryn.

Comment

If you would like, I could scan the booklet for you, Bryn.
                    Thanks, Micky. I will PM you with the appropriate email address to send a WeTransfer to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Thanks, Micky. I will PM you with the appropriate email address to send a WeTransfer to.
                      Apparently your inbox is full for anymore PMs!

But I should make sure the scanner is working before making rash offers! For some unfathomable reason, my scanner sometimes is impossible to connect from my PC - I have no idea why. The only person who can get it going is a geek I employ from time to time who is good at troubleshooting.

So many apologies, I can't scan the CD notes yet but once I get the thing up and running again, I will do the necessary and send them on.

All the best

Comment

For some unfathomable reason, my scanner sometimes is impossible to connect from my PC - I have no idea why. The only person who can get it going is a geek I employ from time to time who is good at troubleshooting.
                        Sometimes our scanner/printer will not scan to PC, but will scan to "media" - e.g. a memory stick, which can then be read on the PC.

Comment

Apparently your inbox is full for anymore PMs!

But I should make sure the scanner is working before making rash offers! For some unfathomable reason, my scanner sometimes is impossible to connect from my PC - I have no idea why. The only person who can get it going is a geek I employ from time to time who is good at troubleshooting.

So many apologies, I can't scan the CD notes yet but once I get the thing up and running again, I will do the necessary and send them on.

All the best
                          Sorry, room now made.

Comment

Working...
                          X