• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Discovering Music - axed

The impression from inside the cellular structure of Radio 3, where no one knows anything about anything that doesn't concern them directly, is that, yes, Discovering Music is to be axed. Those 90 minutes, plus another 30 gained by chipping about with jazz programming, will provide the time for the new guest-presented Saturday Classics, 3pm-5pm. No response to my query on the New Season blog almost a fortnight ago, and no reply to my email direct to the programme. The BBC information line has no knowledge beyond the Liszt programme on the 14th.

Just in case links disappear:

This is the link for finding the DM archive which currently seems elusive on the R3 website.

This is the archive of John Arkell's listening notes.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

how dispiriting
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• meles

That is very sad, especially as it seems to fit the BBC's aims to educate and entertain. The programme has certainly introduced me to some fine music.

Comment

• MarkG
        • Apr 2011

Not sure how ending this programme would fit R3's aim of helping 'build appreciation of music particularly amongst people with little previous knowledge'.

Comment

• Chris Newman
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

If true this seems an idiotic and potentially suicidal decision on the part of Radio Three. These programmes have been very enlightening to musical beginners and old hands. Those that have been available with optional TV format have been a valuable addition to the BBC's educational output.

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Dispiriting indeed - but thanks, FF, for posting the link to the DM archives. Now firmly bookmarked!
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

I know that several have been copied and used in A-level classes, so thanks R3 for far-sighted vision about exactly how to NOT get in touch with younger listeners.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I'd say that the change to a 'workshop' format a few years back, plus the focus on the A level syllabus, didn't improve the programme. Looking back over the old schedules I could see programmes like Anthony Payne discussing Elgar's Symphony No 2. If only that were available to listen to.

As for getting in touch with younger listeners, well, that seems to be what Gareth Malone's Saturday programmes will be for. Much as I admire him as a 'populariser' in the best sense, I think the intellectual contribution R3 makes takes another lurch downwards.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• johnb
                  • Mar 2007

This is extremely bad news indeed.

Discovering Music is the only programme on R3 that attempts to go beyond superficialities.

Comment

• JoeG

Oh no! I was a little afraid when it wasn't mentioned but felt sure they wouldn't ditch this high point of broadcasting - I have learned so much from this programme and will particularly miss Stephen Johnson's insight into works both familiar and unfamiliar.

Comment

• StephenO

Originally posted by JoeG View Post
                      Oh no! I was a little afraid when it wasn't mentioned but felt sure they wouldn't ditch this high point of broadcasting - I have learned so much from this programme and will particularly miss Stephen Johnson's insight into works both familiar and unfamiliar.
                      Me too. Still, what can we expect? No texts, trailers or jolly japes on Discovering Music - it simply had to go! Oh for intelligent broadcasting.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Looking back over the old schedules I could see programmes like Anthony Payne discussing Elgar's Symphony No 2. If only that were available to listen to.
                        As it happens, I may well have a cassette of that programme - that is, if it was Payne talking in great detail while he was actually working on Elgar 3, trying to figure out how certain unwritten passages should go. One of the most fascinating programmes I have ever heard on music.

S-A

Comment

• Chris Newman
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Write to Roger Wright. Flood him with reminders of what Radio 3 is about.

Comment

• Tevot
                            • Nov 2010

In full agreement with Chris Newman's posts #5 and # 13 above. If true ( and the silence is ominous isn't it?) this would be an act of cultural vandalism. R3 needs more presenters of the calibre of messrs Johnson, Swain and Shea to share their genuine and learned enthusiasm and love of great music.

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Well, there should be an informed answer soon as I've emailed Roger directly to ask. I don't think that's unreasonable given that I've tried three alternative ways of finding out to avoid bothering him

Oh, maybe not. Haven't even finished writing this and the OoO Reply has arrived from the "PA to Controller, Radio 3 and Director, BBC Proms
                              BBC Royal Liaison Assistant" (Royal Liaison Assistant? to King Roger? ) - inviting me to ring her on her mobile. Perhaps he now has an official triage system for unsolicited emails ...
                              Last edited by french frank; 10-08-11, 09:10. Reason: Misspelling of Roger

Comment

Working...
                              X