Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OUP's 'hesitation' is , I think , easily explained by the financial cliamte at the time. Cunard and White Star, HMV and Columbia had to merge to save money, and there was a lot of unemployment about. I don't think 'Belshazzar's Feast' was publishd in full score till afer 1945,

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      OUP's 'hesitation' is , I think , easily explained by the financial cliamte at the time. Cunard and White Star, HMV and Columbia had to merge to save money, and there was a lot of unemployment about. I don't think 'Belshazzar's Feast' was publishd in full score till afer 1945,
      I think that's the likely explanation, though they were publishing some works in full score (VW4, Walton 1). But it's certainly true that the full score of Belshazzar's Feast wasn't published until much later (I think the first time it was put on sale was in 1957, just after the revised vocal score). Given the difficult financial circumstances in the early 1930s, it was a particularly well-timed idea of Boult's to put the money OUP's way for Job to be printed and published.

Comment

A five-star review from Andrew Green in December 2022's BBC MM.

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
          The discount works for US customers as well as UK/Europe ones –with the same discount code (BB135). Not sure if that applies to institutional customers (i.e. your local university library)....
          Excellent Xmas news re: makropulos' new RVW/ACB book, namely that the local university library has indeed added it to their collection . The bad news for me on this is that some very intelligent 'miscreant' has already borrowed the book, so that I won't be able to borrow it for several months, at least at this moment. But at least the main mission got accomplished . Guess that I'll just have to wait my turn.

Comment

Very enthusiastic review in January Gramophone for good measure

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              Very enthusiastic review in January Gramophone for good measure
              Very well deserved - I found it fascinating and enlightening.

Comment

Well, finally was able to borrow makropulos' new RVW/ACB book from the local university library, following its (eventual) return. Very happy to have done so , as it is a pleasure to read. It's also notable to read more thoroughly of Sir Adrian's bringing RVW's music to continental Europe when he could, more than I had gleaned from Michael Kennedy's bio.

At the risk of being accused of picking nits, I did notice a very few errors:

(a) p. 114, where there is a misspelling of the Dutch resort town of Scheveningen in the phrase:

"...for two concerts with the Hague Residentie Orchestra at the Kurzaal at Schevinigen..."
                Scheveningen is spelled correctly in the section after the quote from the Algemeen Handelsblad review on the same page.

(b) The page citations for Emlyn Williams in the back index are missing, namely pages 198 and 261.

Perhaps the pdf of the book can be corrected with the publisher, for future buyers of the e-book version. Obviously the already printed hard copies are a done deal. All this aside, good to know that the book has gotten strong press.

Comment

My old English teacher used to say that he had never read a book without a typo or mistake and my experience tends to support that view.

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                    My old English teacher used to say that he had never read a book without a typo or mistake and my experience tends to support that view.
                    I have yet to find any in either of my copies of Finnegans Wake.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      I have yet to find any in either of my copies of Finnegans Wake.
                      ... you mean you don't have the First Edition??

Comment

If only. I am not in that economic league. I just have a couple of much later editions:

and

Comment

Nigel/makropulos

I have just stumbled across this forthcoming release on the Presto site:

Sir Adrian Boult conducts Berg, Stravinsky & Vaughan Williams. Somm: ARIADNE5024-2. Buy 2 CDs or download online. Heinrich Nillius, Suzanne Danco, Parry Jones, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Noel Mewton Wood (piano), Royal Opera House Orchestra, Sir Adrian Boult

The RVW performance of S4 is surely that mentioned in your book, given at a Prom on 21 July 1965.
                          Somm claim it's a first release on CD, but in your Appendix 3 (page 279) you give details of a CD release: CRQ CD325-6.
                          Presumably Somm are unaware of this?

Comment

Now there's a historic recording; I didn't know it had survived complete. Boult's 1966 broadcast of the Three Pieces from the Lyric Suite has been on BBC Legends CD.

The Stravinsky must also be rare. Apart from Circus Polka recorded in 1967 for World Record Club, I know of no other Boult recordings. He did record some Bartok for Westminster in the 1950s: the Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta and the Divertimento, with our old friends the 'Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra' (LPO in disguise).

Comment

Working...
                            X