X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edashtav
    • Jul 2012

VW - NEW BOOK by American Musicologist, ERIC SAYLOR

This 2022 publication in the MASTER MUSICIANS SERIES offers a surprisingly wide study of the composers works, each ‘period’ in a separate chapter that is prefaced by a biographical chapter appropriate to those years.

The language is American English: functional rather than elegant, and period prices are translated into today’s equivalents in dollars. The content is up to date and is at its best in filling in the gaps in earlier biographies. Thus, it concentrates on earlier scores which have only come to light in recent years. I found the sections on VW’s musical teachers to be informative and helpful. Saylor examines and explodes earlier pigeon-holing of Ralph as a ‘cowpat’ / pastoral composer or one obsessed by English Folksong. The composer that Saylor portrays is far more multi-dimensional and, whilst quirkily original, one who contributed to the advance of European music.

The book suffers, in my opinion, through having been shoe-horned to fit a series format. I feel that Saylor had more to give and if a second edition is ever considered, I would vote for 50% extra length based, initially, on the waste bin in his Editor’s cutting room.
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Thanks; this sounds interesting. I recall a 1950s American book analysing VWs symphonies in more detail than one tended to find this side of the Atlantic then. His music was once highly regarded in America and several of his major works received their first recordings there. But then , Elgar's music too had a vogue there once. I suppose new generations come along with different ideas.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Five stars in November's (sic) BBC MM, which has just dropped through the letter box.
      But also with regret that the Master Musicians brand has restricted its length.

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
        This 2022 publication in the MASTER MUSICIANS SERIES offers a surprisingly wide study of the composers works, each ‘period’ in a separate chapter that is prefaced by a biographical chapter appropriate to those years.

The language is American English: functional rather than elegant, and period prices are translated into today’s equivalents in dollars. The content is up to date and is at its best in filling in the gaps in earlier biographies. Thus, it concentrates on earlier scores which have only come to light in recent years. I found the sections on VW’s musical teachers to be informative and helpful. Saylor examines and explodes earlier pigeon-holing of Ralph as a ‘cowpat’ / pastoral composer or one obsessed by English Folksong. The composer that Saylor portrays is far more multi-dimensional and, whilst quirkily original, one who contributed to the advance of European music.

The book suffers, in my opinion, through having been shoe-horned to fit a series format. I feel that Saylor had more to give and if a second edition is ever considered, I would vote for 50% extra length based, initially, on the waste bin in his Editor’s cutting room.
        I've read books on Bartok and Mahler in that series, both written by Brits

Comment

• Maclintick
          • Jan 2012

Hmm, is this e-kindle-only already. It seems to be unavailable as old-fashioned analogue on any of the online outlets I usually patronise - I'm damned if I'm going to to order it from you know who..

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
            Hmm, is this e-kindle-only already. It seems to be unavailable as old-fashioned analogue on any of the online outlets I usually patronise - I'm damned if I'm going to to order it from you know who..
            The BBC MM review mentioned in #3 gives the price as £22.99 (hb).
            Seems very odd if already not available in that format any longer: I wonder if the e-book has been released first?

PS: OUP site says currently out of stock as hardback, but no suggestion (yet) that it won't be back in stock at some point.
            Worth contacting them?
            Or you could click on the 'Notify me when back in stock' link.

Comment

• Maclintick
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              The BBC MM review mentioned in #3 gives the price as £22.99 (hb).
              Seems very odd if already not available in that format any longer: I wonder if the e-book has been released first?

PS: OUP site says currently out of stock as hardback, but no suggestion (yet) that it won't be back in stock at some point.
              Worth contacting them?
              Or you could click on the 'Notify me when back in stock' link.

https://global.oup.com/academic/prod...&lang=en&cc=gb
              Thanks for your suggestions, Pulcie. I'm a bit obsessed with composer biographies at the moment, and haven't quite finished Daniel Grimley's excellent "Jean Sibelius,Life,Music, Silence", so I'll follow up on Eric Saylor's RVW book when I finish that.

Comment

Working...
              X