X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Young Musician 2022

Is there a thread anywhere?

PS Yes here! See post #4
    Last edited by ardcarp; 04-10-22, 15:41.

Some gentle grumbling here

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Yes: here http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...inals-BBC-Four
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

OK Well I've decided to start this thread (not grumbling too much about presenters) about the 2022 competition.
        I've only watched the string and wind finals so far, and as always found it difficult to put a cigarette paper between some of the contestants. I must say, from the extracts I heard on BBC4 last night, I think the young lady flautist deserved to win. (The comment Anna Lapwood made about her bottom notes not being heard was because the Steinway Model D had its lid fully open!). Not so sure about the strings though. Yes the viola player was good, but I would have chosen from two of the violinists whom I thought were exceptional.

If anyone wants to add names and pieces (a predominance of 'modernish' works I thought) please do.

Comment

PS Yes here! See post #4

We seem to have multiple threads now - but, as you wish

Comment

I heard several of the performers again on today's Lunchtime Concert repeat compilation. I didn't change my view of a favourite for the string section, but found that as the sound quality was much better on the radio than the TV I enjoyed the violinists more than first time round. It also reminded me that reactions to a visual performance are different. The Aki Blendis boy had a lovely rapport with his accompanist mother and I rather missed that but for the other violinists I found not seeing them was better.
            Not sure that it's helpful having a percussion finalist tacked on to the end of the slot, so that they are heard before the group final - out of context as it were, and building opinion ahead of the event.
            I see that the blurb on the schedules wasn't checked before being sent out. The summary says
            Linton Stephens presents highlights from this year's BBC Young Musician keyboard and Percussion finals, ahead of the Grand Final this Sunday.
            when it was strings and percussion. Fortunately the longer version was correct.

Comment

As has been mentioned, complete items are played on Radio 3 this week at 1pm. Much better way of getting to assess (and enjoy!) each player's pieces.
              Yes, a strange decision to mix bits from other categories (e.g. keyboard, percussion)..but I suppose R3 were only given 5 lunchtime slots to fit everything in.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                The Aki Blendis boy had a lovely rapport with his accompanist mother and I rather missed that but for the other violinists I found not seeing them was better.

As mentioned elsewhere, his performance stood out for me in terms of drawing me in… Otherwise, I’ve found it very hard to rank the players in any kind of order, judging from the tv. I shall try listening to the radio programmes.

As has been mentioned, complete items are played on Radio 3 this week at 1pm. Much better way of getting to assess (and enjoy!) each player's pieces.
                Yes, a strange decision to mix bits from other categories (e.g. keyboard, percussion)..but I suppose R3 were only given 5 lunchtime slots to fit everything in.
                Only Tuesday - Friday, actually

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

As mentioned elsewhere, his performance stood out for me in terms of drawing me in… Otherwise, I’ve found it very hard to rank the players in any kind of order, judging from the tv. I shall try listening to the radio programmes.

Only Tuesday - Friday, actually
                  With notated music my practice is always to get my head down and just listen to what is being played - which makes me uninterested in TV coverage of concerts and competitions of this kind. Often, even in improvised performances, signals being given between musicians and body language are difficult to read, so it's best left to ears, rather than ears coupled with eyes.

Comment

signals being given between musicians and body language are difficult to read
                    Woodwind players especially it seems, do a lot of bending and stretching nowadays. And why not if it helps their own musicality. In days past wind players were much more static in their concert pose...and it was mainly fiddlers who were extrovert! I agree about the supremacy of ears alone....but let's face it, it is good to watch performers sometimes. (In my day, a certain well-respected music diploma exam was conducted with the examiners behind a screen and not able to see the candidate.)

Comment

Archie Camden told an anecdote of his experience of such a screen when he auditioned for a bassoon scholarship place at the RMCM, funded by Hans Richter who insisted onthe Heckel instrument. Young Archie went in for it though he had only just begun to learn the instrument, and as he attempted tomplay he saw the screen shaking as if someone was trying not to laugh. He later heard that it was Richter himself; he won the scholarship.

Comment

Lovely story, smittims!

I always boggle at the sheer musicality (and of course rhythmic co-ordination) of percussion players. It would be a shame to have them behind a screen! I found it quite impossible to choose a winner from their final. It seems that the dreamiest (in a good way) and least extrovert piece defined the outcome.

Comment

Pianists....where do you start? The 14-year-old had formidable technique, but possibly his programme let him down in terms of variety.
                          Does anyone find having he main judge, namely Anna Lapwood, joining the 'chat team' after the decision has been made but before the result is announced a bit offside? I was very happy with the choice of winner. I guess both Mark Wigglesworth and Ethan will need all their powers of perception at play in the orchestral grand final.

Comment

Pianists....where do you start? The 14-year-old had formidable technique, but possibly his programme let him down in terms of variety.
                            Does anyone find having he main judge, namely Anna Lapwood, joining the 'chat team' after the decision has been made but before the result is announced a bit offside? I was very happy with the choice of winner. I guess both Mark Wigglesworth and Ethan will need all their powers of perception at play in the orchestral grand final.
                            Tastefully put. I've been wondering have there been other blind 'classical' pianists of note?

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                              Tastefully put. I've been wondering have there been other blind 'classical' pianists of note?
                              Nobuyuki Tsujii, who was blind from birth, was the joint winner of the van Cliburn competition in 2009. He appeared at the Proms in 2013 and has played with Vladimir Ashkenazy quite a few times. He has made quite a few recordings.
                              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Working...
                              X