X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChandlersFord
    • Dec 2021

Tom Verlaine is Dead

The former Television guitarist has died, aged 73.

I loved Television - Marquee Moon is one of the (comparatively few) essential New Wave albums - and I also enjoyed his solo work.

His decision to steal the surname of the notorious French Symbolist for his nom de l'etage led me to check out the original, who subsequently became my favourite poet, in any language.

So, I have a lot to thank the late Mr. Verlaine for.
  • RichardB
    Banned
    • Nov 2021

This is very sad. Marquee Moon is a searing and beautiful album. I lost sight of Tom Verlaine for a long time, but just a couple of months ago something made me want to catch up and I listen to his entire discography, in many cases for the first time - The Wonder and Around were wonderful surprises, and there was always something subtle and unique about the sound of his instrument and the way he played it.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
      This is very sad. Marquee Moon is a searing and beautiful album. I lost sight of Tom Verlaine for a long time, but just a couple of months ago something made me want to catch up and I listen to his entire discography, in many cases for the first time - The Wonder and Around were wonderful surprises, and there was always something subtle and unique about the sound of his instrument and the way he played it.
      ....yes similar experience myself....
      bong ching

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ChandlersFord View Post
        The former Television guitarist has died, aged 73.

I loved Television - Marquee Moon is one of the (comparatively few) essential New Wave albums - and I also enjoyed his solo work.

His decision to steal the surname of the notorious French Symbolist for his nom de l'etage led me to check out the original, who subsequently became my favourite poet, in any language.

So, I have a lot to thank the late Mr. Verlaine for.
        Tom Robinson's 'Now Playing @6Music' yesterday evening was all about Television, Tom Verlaine and the many musicians inspired by him. Here's the link, with playlist:
        Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

Working...
        X