Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Ellis 1933-2023

Last night I discovered that the composer David Ellis had died on the 20th. April aged 90.

David Ellis studied at the Royal Manchester College of Music where his contemporaries included Peter Maxwell Davies, Harrison Birtwistle, Alexander Goehr, Elgar Howarth and John Ogdon.

For a few years he taught music at Eccles Grammar School near Manchester, where I was a pupil. Later he joined the BBC and was a music producer, based in Manchester (I think), for many years.

As music teacher he introduced us to music such as Stravinsky's Rite, Walton, Hindemith (Symph Metamorphosis), and Stan Kenton "City of Glass". He also arranged various musical events - one being a piano recital given in the school hall, on the probably rather ropey school grand piano by no less than John Ogdon - who, of course, he knew from his RMCM days.

I also remember going to the Halle one evening to hear David's Violin Concerto being rehearsed and then performed by Martin Milner, the leader. I can't remember the conductor.

David Ellis was a major influence on me - although I must have been a real pain in the backside to teach.

There is an obituary on the British Music Society website.

David Ellis, who has died aged 90, was a multi-talented musician, being as well as a distinguished composer, a music administrator, an arranger, and a big band director and pianist...

Thank you David.

RIP

A very warm musicweb review of a recording of some of his varied pieces from 1955 through to the 1990s. A useful survey of his work.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

One of my favourite contemporary British composers, although no one I have ever mentioned his name to seems to have heard of him.

Comment

Working...
      X