• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Billy the Kid

OK I know Radio 4's Page to Performance (Tuesday 1.30pm) isn't the same as Talking About Music. But today's edition was a surprisingly detailed talk, with musical illustrations, of Copland's Billy the Kid. At times it almost amounted to analysis, with experts showing some of the harmonic techniques Copland employed. There was little sense of 'dumbing down' even though the programme was intended for a lay audience, so well done Radio 4.

Avbailable on LA

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    OK I know Radio 4's Page to Performance (Tuesday 1.30pm) isn't the same as Talking About Music. But today's edition was a surprisingly detailed talk, with musical illustrations, of Copland's Billy the Kid. At times it almost amounted to analysis, with experts showing some of the harmonic techniques Copland employed. There was little sense of 'dumbing down' even though the programme was intended for a lay audience, so well done Radio 4.

Avbailable on LA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b0150p61
    I heard this too and enjoyed it very much - a nice mixture of serious discussion of the music and comments by players. But yes, "bare, open fifths" is not a phrase that you necessarily expect to hear in a programme going out at lunchtime on R4. But we did today. Good stuff.

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

and, like the previous programme about Mahler 10 Adagio, it was tied-in with a performance in the afternoon on Radio 3, clever eh?

Comment

• makropulos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        and, like the previous programme about Mahler 10 Adagio, it was tied-in with a performance in the afternoon on Radio 3, clever eh?
        A cunning plan!

Comment

Working...
        X