X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony Halstead
    • Nov 2010

'In Tune' : Rafferty's selectivity of performer credits in Purcell extract

I can hardly believe that after a superb live performance today of Purcell's 'Plaint' from 'The Faery Queen' in a very 'dry' and cruelly revealing studio, Mr Rafferty acknowleged only the name of the singer, Lina Markeby.
    Firstly, the 'continuo' duo of Kinga Gaborjani (cello) and Joseph McHardy (harpsichord) should have been mentioned, but above all, the superlative oboe playing of CATHERINE LATHAM was sadly uncredited.

I have never before heard such exquisite, poised, IN TUNE and 'musically phrased' baroque oboe playing, not to mention the occasional discreet but entirely appropriate and stylish ornamentation.

OK, Ms Latham is a member of the ETO ( English Touring Opera) orchestra, but this was not an 'orchestral gig' but a chamber performance with a singer ( obviously) and an obbligato instrumentalist.

In order to find out who this 'star' baroque oboist was, I had to look at the BBC In Tune website.
    Black mark, Mr Rafferty.
    Please give credit where credit is due!
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I didn't hear it but my thoughts are that we need more ESSENTIAL information and less mindless chatter, Essential being the BBC's favourite word at the moment.

Comment

• Chris Newman
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

I would have thought that naming the playing involved in a chamber piece was ESSENTIAL GOOD MANNERS.

Comment

Working...
      X