X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    I hope someone in R3 takes note of the extent to which the way the Schubertfest is being presented causes so much offence.
    I wish someone in R3 would realise that irrespective of how well or badly it is presented, projects like the Schubertfest are simply a dreadful idea, debasing the music.

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hackneyvi View Post
      I have a sense that Radio 3 is attempting to release itself from shackless, ...
      The extent of the change suggests an awareness of a problem but I don't see evidence of real thought which might lead the audience somewhere; more, a sort of desperate and vacuous survivalism which also feels like suicide.
      what shackles - isn't the adoption of 'vox pop rules' even more of a restriction as anything requiring thought or a modicum of knowledge is off bounds as can't appeal to the mass market let alone make money.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Fantastic, gurnemanz!! That will surely be one of the best comments of the Schubert week!!!
        Lordy lordy! Bravo gurnz - great work

Comment

• Frances_iom
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
          I wish someone in R3 would realise that irrespective of how well or badly it is presented, projects like the Schubertfest are simply a dreadful idea, debasing the music.
          to use a consumer analogy - R3 used to be akin to Fortnum + Mason or Harrod's food hall - now it is near bottom of market - the pile it up in boxes end of supermarkets - yes there are some good stuff but buried in dross.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
            what shackles - isn't the adoption of 'vox pop rules' even more of a restriction as anything requiring thought or a modicum of knowledge is off bounds as can't appeal to the mass market let alone make money.
            as many trailers as there are pieces, tweets from SMP, umpteen times mention of the producer disliking piano-accompaniments, "humorous" quasi-German accents, and that all to endure because I liked specifically to listen to altogether 15 minutes of music this morning (Fugues D.24 and the trio fragment D.111a) OMG

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              as many trailers as there are pieces[...]
              I've just heard three trailers on the trot immediately before the one o'clock news.

Sean Rafferty just mentioned the quality of the kitchen at their venue. His pronunciation of various words in his script seemed to reflect this.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                I wish someone in R3 would realise that irrespective of how well or badly it is presented, projects like the Schubertfest are simply a dreadful idea,

debasing the music.
                Oh, no: they could sing recipes for shortbread whilst broadcasting Brendel playing the Bb Major Sonata, and they still wouldn't be able to "debase" this Music. Amongst the oceans of crass insensitivity that we're being expected to endure, Schubert's Music stands apart, untouchable, magnificent.

It's only R3 and its staff that are debased; and they're probably immune to this by now.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Frances_iom
                  • Mar 2007

I've just heard three trailers on the trot immediately before the one o'clock news.:...
                  welcome to the new commercial R3 - maybe SR could have done a bit of product placement which is usually more lucative - what did you expect with an ex Pepsi marketeer now in charge - junk products were his forte

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

I've just had a dreadful, uninvited thought.

I would rather like to hear some masculine music.

I had never thought of Schubert's music as being essentially feminine until this fest started. The idea, or rather the fact that I could have this idea, has upset me rather.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alf-Prufrock View Post
                      I've just had a dreadful, uninvited thought.

I would rather like to hear some masculine music.

I had never thought of Schubert's music as being essentially feminine until this fest started. The idea, or rather the fact that I could have this idea, has upset me rather.
                      Stick on D958. Sounds fairly masculine to me.
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alf-Prufrock View Post
                        [...] I had never thought of Schubert's music as being essentially feminine until this fest started. The idea, or rather the fact that I could have this idea, has upset me rather.
                        It's an interesting idea, a notion of a gendered music. I suppose an example of 'masculine' would be LvB, Berlioz perhaps.... (I find myself stuck for examples.) Is it that Schubert manifests what Jung calls the 'anima' - the feminine side of the man? Schubert's appealing capacity to express the sadness of life, its unpredictability, our sudden turns from contentment to despair is perhaps a rather feminine trait.

Alf, whose music would you turn to for something masculine?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

whose music would you turn to for something masculine?
                          Shostakovich was the first name that came into my head on reading that question,although I couldn't explain why.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

It's an interesting idea, a notion of a gendered music. I suppose an example of 'masculine' would be LvB, Berlioz perhaps.... (I find myself stuck for examples.) Is it that Schubert manifests what Jung calls the 'anima' - the feminine side of the man? Schubert's appealing capacity to express the sadness of life, its unpredictability, our sudden turns from contentment to despair is perhaps a rather feminine trait.
                            Is it? I'd have thought the extremes of emotion are much more of a masculine trait. Hence suicide is much more prevalent among men.

whose music would you turn to for something masculine?
                            I think Bach is masculine. Isn't he?
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• JFLL
                              • Jan 2011

...whose music would you turn to for something masculine?
                              Brahms?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I would say that music doesn't get much more masculine than the Brahms piano concerti - Heavens-storming, muscle-rippling stuff!And I think that the late Beethoven chamber works and most of the Sibelius symphonies could fairly be described as masculine.

Comment

Working...
                                X