Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll throw another one into the mix: Elgar's second organ sonata as orchestrated by Gordon Jacobs. A real, echt Elgarian sound which is surprisingly missing from the rather muddy textures of the original.

Comment

Jacobs' orchestration was of Elgar's 1st (and only) organ sonata. The so-called 2nd Sonata was a transcription, by Sir Ivor Atkins, of Elgar's Severn Suite, for (a) brass band, and (b) orchestra.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        For me the most surprising orchestration is to be found in the 1st Acte of the Nutknacker: Schumann orchestrated by Tchaikovsky and in general nobody seems to notice
        I remember this being pointed out to me during musical appreciation classes at school, but we were told, rightly or wrongly, that both composers were quoting a German folk tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Jacobs' orchestration was of Elgar's 1st (and only) organ sonata. The so-called 2nd Sonata was a transcription, by Sir Ivor Atkins, of Elgar's Severn Suite, for (a) brass band, and (b) orchestra.
          I recall a sleeve note calling this transcription actually being a kind of symphony, therefore Elgar's Symphony no.0

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I remember this being pointed out to me during musical appreciation classes at school, but we were told, rightly or wrongly, that both composers were quoting a German folk tune.
            There is such a melody as well, but the most striking [real] Schumann-quote is the music accompanying Grandfather's entry (and the two immediately following [short] movements)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              There is such a melody as well, but the most striking [real] Schumann-quote is the music accompanying Grandfather's entry (and the two immediately following [short] movements)
              Thanks. I'll listen again.

Comment

Yes, the Pictures at an Exhibition works really well for orchestra.

Radio 3 must like it too. They play it at 8pm every single week!

3VS

Comment

Janáček's string quartet based on Tolstoy's The Kreutzer Sonata is a tempestuous affair – and Jonathan Morton's take on it was more than a little rough, too, says Kate Molleson

Did anyone go to this concert? Janacek’s String quarter No.1 (Intimate letters) in an arrangement for 12-part strings.

Comment

Well, my specialiuty in music making, is the brass band (aka username), so arrangements figure pretty highly in our repertoire. As it is I am working on two arrangements and an original composition for brass band, so I find that the two marry quite well together.

As for current topic, Liszt was the master of transcription and I rather like Schoenberg's transcriptions to.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      As for current topic, Liszt was the master of transcription and I rather like Schoenberg's transcriptions to.
                      BBM, what do you think of Schönberg's Variations opus 43, in either his wind band original or his version for symphony orchestra?

Comment

Working...
                      X